1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Heritage SVT reviewed in BP

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JimmyM, Apr 30, 2010.

1. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    interesting. they say it's made with a thicker pcb and more copper, but they say the regular cl and vr sound almost identical (except the vr was "more lusciously textured"..."luscious" is a creepy word, btw). however, they said the eq seemed more precise. don't have any idea what that means, though. how can it be more precise? you turn the knob and it changes.

they don't say much at all about the performance of the 810e except it's the classic 810 sound. i wanted to hear how it compares to the current korean 810e. of course, they get all nebulous with the sonic terms in bp so i probably wouldn't get what they meant anyway.

2. Blah... BP ****s big time.

3. ErnieD

ErnieD

Nov 25, 2004
    Atascocita,TX.
    I"m more curious about that PN Pro, 410 cab(s), neo loaded, hell ya buddy, bring it Ampeg. I liked that PRO and SVT410 cab back in the day, if its lighter weight and still sounds great, my ears are perked. :p

Tho, that could be another thread I coulda gone to. Still wanna bump this for more thoughts, kids. Anybody got some o' that new Ampeg action yet? :hyper:

4. i talked to one of the techs on the phone the other day cause i was having a problem with my cl. his name was scott. he said the heritage cl is more harmonically sound (if that makes any sense) and he did mention the pcb thing aswell.

5. Ahh, buzz words to try to make out the price difference to be worthwhile. If they just pushed the fact that it's build to a higher spec that'd be enough and they wouldnt need to crack open the thesaurus!

6. juggernaut1

juggernaut1

Jul 5, 2007
    Maryland
    I have one on order, anybody else?
    Looking forward to my heritage SVT! :hyper:

7. those are the kind've words you use when your trying to justify spending way more when you can't actually hear much sonic difference!

8. Lync

Lync

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    "Designed and Assembled in the USA" is the new buzz phrase for Made in the USA LOL!

Good thing they pay those MBA's to come up with such crafty marketing phrases.

9. it does seem a tad awkward......i'm all for us built stuff,but what does this say about all the over seas stuff they've been marketing.....you have to wonder why precise eq controls were not available in those units.....it seems that they will have to pit the domestic and foreign products against each other....or some might conclude that the heritage stuff is really no better,just pricier

10. Wow, you just said it all right there buddy, nail on the head

11. I don't think they'll compete against each other, I think it's just aimed at trying to be an all round better product (with the attached stigma of MIA also making it better, when in fact it just makes it more expensive).

Tho, you do have a point that it'll make people ask why the amps could have just been built like that in the first place.

Funny how that practice is more acceptable with musical instruments (ie comparing MIM Fender, MIA fender and CS/MIA fender, just as an example).

12. Where are the normal CLs and VRs made these days? Not still Vietnam?

13. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    well you do have to admit that they look a lot better than the korean stuff ;) and from what i'm told about the heritage 810e, it sounds quite a bit better than the regular 810e. besides, i don't know if there's much you can do to improve the heads. they're pretty great-sounding even with their "imprecise" eq's. still trying to figure that one out ;)

14. chiplexic

chiplexic

Apr 21, 2004
    Massachusetts
    I never found much substance in BP reviews. My assumption is, with magazine and other print media struggling to stay affloat these days, advertising is so crusial to survival. Why would a magazine give too critical a review to a major advertiser. So we the reader get bland,walk the fence reviews.

15. the mim fenders etc have all been marketed as a "budget" alternative....the overseas ampegs have been touted as first run.....it strikes me as a bit of a hurdle for the marketing folks

16. I lost all faith in them a fair while back. Shame. They need to sort it out. No idea why that Heritage line attracts such silly high prices.

17. WINGS012345

WINGS012345

Dec 7, 2009
    Interesting.. Designed and Assembled in the USA does not mean Made in the USA. Parts are probably made in China and shipped here to be assembled. Tricky

18. They sure look cool that is a fact!
    I would love to see a review in direct comparison to VR and see how they match up or not!

19. vegas532

vegas532

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    I played one yesterday and couldn't really hear too much of a difference, although it was a bit "quieter" (still somewhat noisy, though). If any of you live around OC and want to hear for yourself, Jim's Music in Tustin has one in stock...that's where I gave it a test run.

And no, I don't work for Jim's. I'm just passing the info. :D

20. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    It would otherwise be:

Designed in the USA,
    Assembled in the USA from foreign made parts.

FTC is cracking down on some of this for other industries.