1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hernia Sugery Question.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by cassanova, Aug 22, 2012.

1. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I understand there will be some pain, discomfort and tenderness at the site of the operation and down into my testicles, but I wasn't expecting to feel the same type of issues that it had prior to surgery. Is this normal? I didn't see the surgeon at all post-op, and wanted to ask him these things, and when I tried to call him today, he was not in. I don't know anyone else that's undergone a procedure like this, so I'm reaching out to the TB community in the hopes that someone else on here has undergone this as well. It was also Lathroscopic surgery, not open, so I don't know if that makes a difference as well. Any insight is greatly appreciated though.

Much Love
    Mama Cass

2. I had one years ago, and after the surgery - I was in searing pain - far more than the actual hernia, but the fed gov was also doing a nationwide test at the time to see if people would heal faster with minimal drugs ... they were wrong as usual.

Maybe they have newer and better ways now.

Best wishes

3. MostlyBass

MostlyBass Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Oak Park, IL
    I was in quite a bit of pain from mine as well. It took a few weeks to settle down but I had some complications. In time it all worked out and healed great.

4. Mr L

Mr L

Jul 22, 2012
    Vancouver BC
    Mine hurt like hell for a week or so, after that things got better and life got back to normal.

5. Richland123

Richland123

Apr 17, 2009
    I had a really bad hernia and required a long incision and 14 staples to close it. I was in severe pain for almost 2 months and was not allowed to lift more than 10 pounds during that time. My bass weighs 9 pounds. I did not miss any gigs but I sure did hurt and singing was not easy. I had pain for about 6 to 7 months afterward.

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    I'm not concerned about the pain from the surgery I feel. What has me concerned is that it feels like it wasn't repaired. It feels very much the same on my right side as it did prior to the surgery, while the one on the left they repaired, feels non existent anymore.

It was lathroscopic surgery, so I think that is actually keeping the pain of the surgery to a minimum. Well that and the vicodins.

7. bassman4jc

bassman4jc

May 12, 2009
    Sacramento ,Ca
    I've had both my left and right side repaired. Left side at age 16 (1976) and right side at 50 (2000). I didn't have pain with either one, just "the bulge" prior to surgery. I had pain after my first surgery for a few months and then it slowly subsided. After my latest surgery, which they used a surgical mesh to repair the muscle I had severe pain for two weeks and diminishing pain for a couple months. Every now and then I get an aching pain in my right side - then my left side gets sypmathetic pains because of it. It sucks but that's the way it is.

8. Nedmundo

Nedmundo Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2005
    Philadelphia
    Two years ago, I had both sides repaired laparoscopically. The right was much worse than the left, and I still feel it sometimes, but it has never felt like it did before the surgery. I could walk a fair distance within a day of the surgery, but I did not feel completely back to normal for a few weeks. It was not very painful, but I felt weak and had a general sense of malaise, if that makes any sense.

Good luck!

9. Relic

Relic Cow are you?

Sep 12, 2006
    Robbinsville, NJ
    I had a hernia op in 2000. It hurt for a while definitely but now is completely gone. Give it some time