1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hernia!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by TheEmptyCell, May 2, 2006.

1. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

So, I had a doctor's appointment last night, one of 3 in the past 4 months, but this one brought dreaded news. What started as a minor pain and discomfort in my groin, and eventually a swelling spot with more pain is now a full fledged hernia.

I have a consultation with the surgeon next Tuesday to determine the plan of action on when the durgery takes place. I'm only 18 and I don't do much heavy lifting. So it kind of contradicts itself. Since I don't do much physical activity, the bit of lifting I have to do at work (in a kitchen) plus moving my bass rig around did me in.

So, share your hernia stories, what post-op was like, how you're dealing with it now, what you did to keep it from happening again, all that good stuff. I can already see myself starting to work out a bit once the surgery is good, done, and healed up right.

2. Bryan R. Tyler

Bryan R. Tyler TalkBass: Usurping My Practice Time Since 2002 Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

May 3, 2002
    Connecticut
    I had a big inguinal hernia (intestines were in the ol' scrotum) so I had to have a surgery. They shave you and then knock you out for it- I woke up a few hours later, tried to get up to use the bathroom (they'll want you to do that before they let you leave) and almost vomited on the way back. I had to try several times- it's pretty difficult to urinate for a bit after the surgery. It will HURT to walk much, and coughing or sneezing will give really sharp pains. Laughing can too. I basically laid in bed and played video games for a day or two and my mother-in-law helped my wife watch our then infant. Just go slow- don't try to walk much at all for two weeks, don't lift anything, avoid stairs. Actually, the most painful part of the whole thing is when I had to go back in and they had to remove the bandage they put over the wound. There's usually some swelling and sensitivity for a few months down there. I don't think mine was done all that well, because it's been nearly two years and I occassionally get some pain there when it's pressed against...I'll be seeing a doctor sometime soon to have it checked out.

3. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I think the occasional bit of pain where it was is normal, everyone I know (including my surgeon) that's had the op done say that happens.

My op was keyhole surgery,you should definitely get that. It doesn't take long, and it heals quickly. I had 3 or 4 days of bumming around at home, because sitting up, walking etc was a bit sore. But after that it's fine. It isn't a big deal really, you'll be fixed in no time.

And you don't need to worry about it happening again because they put this plastic mesh in you so it physically can't happen again!

4. guy n. cognito

guy n. cognito Secret Agent Member Gold Supporting Member

Dec 28, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I had mine at about your age. Mine was minor and caused by excessive weight-lifting using improper form. After getting over the nausea from the sleepy-time drugs, I found anything that involved using the abdominal muscles painful for a few weeks. Sitting up, laughing, coughing, walking stairs. I didn't find the pain unbearable, just uncomfortable.

5. JazzBassMayn

JazzBassMayn

Dec 10, 2005
    Oregon, OH
    I had a hernia when I was 9 years old... I started body building at 8 and it caught up to me. Just kidding, but I was really scared about surgery but afterwards it wasn't all that bad. As everyone else said a little sore for a few days then you'll have to take it easy for a little while after. My brother had appenesitus a few months after me and his was much worse.

6. TheEmptyCell

TheEmptyCell Bearded Dingwall Enthusiast Banned

Thanks a bunch! I know its not gonan change my life forever, but coming right at the end of my senior year, it definitely sucks. Guess I'll have to bust out the ol' X-box and find some good games.

I think mine is the same as yours, Bryan. Consultation isn't until next Tuesday, so we'll see what they say!