1. Please read before selling or posting: TalkBass DB Classifieds Rules and FAQ
  2. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

For Sale Herold Jaeger 7/8's, Flamed Maple Carved Back, 1930's bass

Discussion in 'For Sale: Double Basses' started by Christopher K, Mar 16, 2020.

1. Christopher K

Christopher K Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2016
    Maine
    Price:
    $9000
    Strings:
    I am selling my 1930's Herold Jaeger Bass

This bass has an amazing carved, flame maple back.

The top is two piece vertical grain spruce.

The ribs and neck are plain maple.

The primary label in the bass reads: Herold Jaeger, Reproduction of Antonius Stradivarius Cremona 1732

There is a second label inside the bass that says it was made in Germany although I have heard that Jaegers were Czech basses. This most likely is a labeling/import difference back in the 1930's.

The bass has a honey-brown varnish. There are many threads in Talkbass about the superb varnish quality and sound of Jaegers. They are well made factory double basses that have a loud, punchy pizz and nice even arco throughout the instrument.

I used this bass mostly for classical; however, I have lent the bass out to several accomplished visiting NYC jazz bassists and all have commented what a great jazz bass it is.

This instrument has had plenty of playing time and there are several repairs that have been made over the years. The neck is original as well as the scroll with no damage or breaks to either. About 10 years ago when I purchased the bass, the luthier that I purchased it from went over and through the entire instrument to ensure that all repairs were solid. I had a new fingerboard put on this bass at that time as well and have used it as my second instrument so the board is in excellent condition and like new. The scroll has an extra half turn on the volute which is characteristic of Jaegers. Other than one seam reglued and some new strings, I have not had to have any work or repairs made to the bass since I have owned it.

The bass is currently located in Maine but I travel frequently from Maine to Maryland and can arrange to bring the bass to anyone that is seriously interested. Or, you are more than welcome to make a trip up to Maine to try it out!

Sound samples available upon request.

Specifications:

String Length: ~42"
    Upper Bout: ~19 3/4"
    C Bout: ~14"
    Lower Bout: ~25"
    BOL: ~44 1/2"
    Width at Saddle: ~8"
    Width at neck: ~6 1/4"
    IMG_8097.JPG IMG_8099.JPG IMG_8100.JPG IMG_8101.JPG IMG_8102.JPG IMG_8103.JPG IMG_8104.JPG IMG_8105.JPG IMG_8106.JPG

Last edited: Mar 17, 2020
    koricancowboy and mindwell like this.