Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

He's baaaa-aaaack!!! Thunder Thumbs, that is.

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by malthumb, Feb 17, 2002.

1. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I just read a series of posts at Stanley Clarke's website that confirm that The Brothers Johnson are back together! Both George AND Louis !!!

The last time the "Brothers Johnson" toured, Louis didn't want to participate, so George brought in another bassist and still billed the act as The Brothers Johnson. Fans felt slighted and Louis was po'd. Words were exchanged and George left a very threatening message on Louis' answering machine. It appeared that chances of their ever getting back together were remote at best.

Louis' web site refers to an upcoming solo CD, as well as an upcoming Brothers Johnson CD.

Let the funk begin!!

Peace,

James

2. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Aint we fonkin now ah huh ah huh,

sweet!

3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    They're coming to Atlanta soon!

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Hmmm...
    I just wonder how much of the 'magic' will still be present after all these years.
    The thrill for me hearing "Is It Love That We're Missing" from Q's Mellow Madness album, "I'll Be Good To You" from the Bros' debut for the first time...I don't know if that youthful exhuberance can be replicated. I hope I'm wrong...
    Is Alex Weir(cousin & Talking Heads' touring guitarist)on-board?

Anybody(besides Brad)remember "Midnight Soul Patrol" from Quincy's I Heard That! album?
    I have never seen this album or tune on cd.
    On bass-
    Louis(fretted), Stanley(piccolo), & Alphonso(fretless)...Louis & Stanely engage in a solo 'duel'(very nice thumb chops by LJ).

5. malthumb

malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I don't remember that one, but I do remember "We Supply" from Stanley's "Rocks, Pebbles, and Sand" album. Louis is thumpin' hard while Stanley is chording in the background.

A couple years ago I went to a guitar show in Dearborn, Michigan and there was a guy trying out basses at almost every post. He was playing Louis' part on "We Supply". He was playing it well, but that's all he was playing. All afternoon. Kinda like going into GC and hearing "Higher Ground" or "Aeroplane" :rolleyes:

Peace,

James

6. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    thatd be a nice lil concert to check out. Louis is one of my bigger influances.

7. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
    Is it only me or is it a little sad to see a player of Louis calibre reduced to advertising his skills for hire on his website.

8. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    You wanna tasteful chops? Check out his playing on the song, "Mr. Briefcase" by Lee Ritenour. Woo wee!

9. ZuluFunk

ZuluFunk

Apr 14, 2001
    Pennsylvania
    We're gonna STOMP all night!!!

10. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'm pretty sure that was David Hungate from Toto!
    ...we are talking the original, studio version, right? ;)
    (I remember busting my butt on that tune & thinking, "Crap, Hungate is a muther"!). ;)

I always liked Louis' lines on Mike McDonald's "I Keep Forgetting(We're Not In Love Anymore)".