1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hesitant to start new band.

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by podiumboy, Aug 2, 2012.

1. My old band existed from 2000-2009. We were an all originals band, and we switched to cover band in order to make some actual money, and play sets longer than 30-45 minutes as an opening band. However, we broke up after a Thanksgiving Eve gig in 2009. The gig was actually pretty good, but the rivalry between our drummer and lead singer came to a head that night. Each of them had a different setlist they wanted to play, and neither was willing to budge, which resulted in the singer throwing the drummer's setlist into the fireplace at the bar. We finished the gig, and didn't play together for 2 years. We were great friends before the band, and we still are now.

Recently, we've been playing together, rehearsing for recording sessions for our Rhythm Guitarist's solo album. It was nice to play in a band setting again, but now my parts are all done for his sessions, so I'm without a band again. Which brings me to where I am now...

I'd like to form a cover band that plays 90-00s stuff, with some 60s, 70s and 80s thrown in here and there. I feel like most cover bands are classic rock and country, and I feel that a modern rock band would fare pretty well around my area. Most of the bar crowds these days are in their 20s and 30s, and we'd cater more towards that demographic.

However, I've never really played with other musicians. I've only been in one band ever, and we all pretty much learned to play together. I'm afraid of what it might be like to play with other people who might actually call me out when I make mistakes, for example. Any advice?

2. NelsonNelson

NelsonNelson

Sep 25, 2011
    You gotta find guys with the same vibe as you who aren't big headed rock stars, IME. The rest will come natural. I think a 90's cover band is a great idea.

3. Big Brother

Big Brother

Feb 13, 2011
    San Diego
    Roving sub-demon
    We just tried that for a year and didn't have a lot of luck. Unless you can do some pretty good impressions of some earlier stuff the people just aren't enthused yet.

Part of the problem I think is that 90s rock still forms the basis of a lot of the current rock that is kinda getting pretty tired. It is like doing a disco tribute in 1982. Too early. The idea is there but it needs more time to simmer....

I think what it takes is that there has to be another genre of music for people to get sick of first. And Pitbull isn't enough to make modern music awful by himself, he needs help. Give it 4-6 years and 90s bands will be hot but IMO it is still too early right now.