Hevos dual tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    Anyone some first-hand experience with the Hevos Dual tube preamp?
  2. Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    I played a Hevos 400B amp once, very short and was not in a location where I could play very loud or long. So mine is just very limited experience. As far as I know it has the same preamp as the dual tube. It was *very* quiet, no noise. My own Trace AH200 suddenly seemed a buzzing bee nest. I don't have much experience with other preamps, but apart from the low noise level the main difference with my Trace was that the Hevos definitely had a "warmer" sound to it.

Can't tell you much about the eq. In general I like a situation where bass+amp+speakers sound ok by themselves. While playing I only make small adjustments to tone controls on my bass. On top of that I use parametrics for dialing out resonances from a room, and to emphasize fretless mwaah. So I don't have much feel for low-lomid-mid-midhigh-high style tone shaping, cannot judge it.

The general build quality seemed excellent to me, with all quality components as far as I can tell.
  3. Metty

Aug 24, 2004
    I owned one and sold it finally, after many trouble. The first problem was to find the right fitting poweramp. You have to consider that the Hevos does have a very low output which causes probably difficulties if those poweramps which doesn´t have an adjustable input (most poweramps don´t have!)

They sound great, warm and smooth (that was the reason for my purchase).
    IF you decide to buy it, than combine it only with with Hevos poweramp . But I´ve heard that they kicked the poweramp out of their product range to move to light-weight digital poweramps.

Futhermore you need very efficient cabinets!

The last reason for selling this preamp with a great loss was some technical trouble, they´ve forgotten to fix some cable junctions inside. Maybe the technician was just stoned again ;-)

A good friend is selling his one, just drop me a line if you are still having an interest after my posting