Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hevos dual tube preamp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by dgovaerts, Jan 5, 2005.

1. dgovaerts

dgovaerts

Dec 22, 2004
    Anyone some first-hand experience with the Hevos Dual tube preamp?

2. Antonius

Antonius

Nov 26, 2002
    NL
    I played a Hevos 400B amp once, very short and was not in a location where I could play very loud or long. So mine is just very limited experience. As far as I know it has the same preamp as the dual tube. It was *very* quiet, no noise. My own Trace AH200 suddenly seemed a buzzing bee nest. I don't have much experience with other preamps, but apart from the low noise level the main difference with my Trace was that the Hevos definitely had a "warmer" sound to it.

Can't tell you much about the eq. In general I like a situation where bass+amp+speakers sound ok by themselves. While playing I only make small adjustments to tone controls on my bass. On top of that I use parametrics for dialing out resonances from a room, and to emphasize fretless mwaah. So I don't have much feel for low-lomid-mid-midhigh-high style tone shaping, cannot judge it.

The general build quality seemed excellent to me, with all quality components as far as I can tell.

3. Metty

Metty

Aug 24, 2004
    Germany
    I owned one and sold it finally, after many trouble. The first problem was to find the right fitting poweramp. You have to consider that the Hevos does have a very low output which causes probably difficulties if those poweramps which doesn´t have an adjustable input (most poweramps don´t have!)

They sound great, warm and smooth (that was the reason for my purchase).
    IF you decide to buy it, than combine it only with with Hevos poweramp . But I´ve heard that they kicked the poweramp out of their product range to move to light-weight digital poweramps.

Futhermore you need very efficient cabinets!

The last reason for selling this preamp with a great loss was some technical trouble, they´ve forgotten to fix some cable junctions inside. Maybe the technician was just stoned again ;-)

A good friend is selling his one, just drop me a line if you are still having an interest after my posting