Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

HEVOS - Preamp / Epifani 210

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Tightanic, May 4, 2003.

1. Tightanic

Tightanic Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Hi everybody,
    i know that there are only few talkbassers who actually own the gear on which I need information, but I'll ask my questions anyways:

I am planning on buying a new rig (to be honest: my first real "rig" ever!) since I sold my Glockenklang 2x12", and the odd Warwick Combo I used to play the last few month finally blew up (don't ask me why).
    My thoghts were to buy a QSC-RMX1450 Poweramp, an Epifani T-210 cab and finally the actual subject of this discussion:
    A Hevos Valve Preamp (Preamp extracted from the 400B head). I have had no experience with this company yet, and I can't really tell whether it is what I'm looking for or not.
    My preferences for an ideal tone would be: Sophisticated high-end-touch with a smooth singing tone, but not as smooth as the Glock I had, which had no serious punch instead. Tightness and a pleasant character are important, perhaps some sort of Aggie-touch, plug-in-and-be-stimulated!

I hope that I've expressed my "feelings" sufficiently precise, and that some of you can comment on this. If you have not yet played the Preamp, general thoughts on the poweramp and the cab are also very welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Johannes

2. May I ask why exactly you sold your Glock Double? was it because of the sound or something else?

3. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    Sound is of course subjective, and I can only say I like my Hevos amp (400B) a lot! It has very nice sound, very clean but not cold, and there is serious punch as well. I think you'll like it from how you describe your preferences. Something to consider is perhaps the minimal controls and features, if you want a lot of options in terms of tone shaping and routing this may not be for you. The tube preamp is also designed not to distort, so if you want rock and roll grit you need something else, it is not a tube preamp like others, the tube input section is designed for headroom, not overdrive. It does sound really good though in my humble opinion and I run it with all controls flat, so I'm not missing more knobs or sliders. Maybe you have a chance of trying one at their German retailer (Vektor basses) in Viersen? (Don't know how far from your place that might be).

4. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    I´m also really interested in the Hevos preamp as I´m going for a pre/poweramp rig soon. The reviews on their site are great. And maybe you could return the pre if you don´t like it. Dont know if they have such a return policy though.
    I haven´t made up my mind if I should go with Hevos or Ashdown preamp yet. The Ashdown is probably more versatile and also has a nice crossover.

5. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    l0calh05t: The point was not the sound, this thing sounded amazing, but somehow it didn't cut right when used in a small room (too boomy) and it also lacked some fast transient attack to me. But the reason for that could also have been the rather floppy head driving the cab (Warwick Wamp 280). The cab really displayed it's possibilities as I once played in a rather huge concert hall with very high ceiling, but apart from that evening, the aesthetic qualities couldn't compensate for not hearing myself right. I missed a certain amount of tightness :meh:.

Anders Östberg::
    Thank you for your input! Unfortunately, the Pre is used, so it is neither possible to return it, nor will I be able to go visiting Vektor basses (they are several hundreds of kilometres from my hometown).
    It is always hard to describe sensual ideas, especially when you're forced to use a language which is not your mother tongue. What I'm looking for in my sound is on the ONE hand definition, clarity etc. But on the OTHER it's warmth, punch and an overall pleasing and musical character. Tubelike compression/addition of characteristic harmonics is no issue, I've been using sterile amplification for so long now.
    :confused: Do you get my point !?

Johannes

6. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Sounds like you should try the Ashdown RPM preamp.:cool: It can go from SWR hifi-ish sounds to SVT grit and is really warm and tight.

7. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Looks like we've got an under-cover agent for Ashdown here ;) ! Hopefully I'll get the chance to try it before the used Hevos is sold to somebody else!
    By the way, are there any suggestions to alternative products from other companies?
    What about the Peavey MAX preamp or the Sansamp RBI? They're rather cheap compared to the rest, but who knows?

Johannes

8. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    I currently own a MAX and I have tried the Ashdown RPM1. Both are versatile hybrid units that I feel would be useable in a lot of different musical settings. I did not like the stock tube that came in the MAX so I replace it. After doing so I was much happier with it. I think that you can get similar tone to the RPM1 out of the MAX but the Ashdown product is just simply better sounding to my ears. It offers a lot more definition, clarity and depth than the Peavey preamp. The MAX is no slouch and if you have the opportunity to do so, you should at least try one.

Here in the states most of the dealers I have contacted quoted me in the neighborhood of $750.00 USD for the RPM1. I personally did not hear enough of a difference over the MAX to buy one at that price but that's just me. If I can find one in the price range that I'm willing to pay, I'll be all over it! ;)

9. 8_finger

8_finger Supporting Member

Jun 1, 2002
    Baltimore, MD
    Why not the Aggie(if the price is not the issue)? I think that there is a Aggie dealer in Germany.
    Did you try EBS preamps? I have EBS-1V2 and IMHO it has unbelivable tone that cuts through like anything, but that's my ears. Plus they are relatively cheap(for what you get) used - I got mine for 700€.
    If you want tube tone try Ampeg SVP - they aren't that expensive.
    In short try everything you can get your hands on!

10. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Yes, that's right. Even if everybody declared that one special piece of Equipment will make the cut, I were a fool not to find out what suits my needs best by actually hearing. I just wanted to find out, wheter it is worth to buy the Hevos sight unseen.
    I mast admit that I don't know much more yet, but perhaps Anders will come up with some more thoughts on his apparently satisfying gear!

Johanes

11. FretNoMore

FretNoMore * Cooking with GAS *

Jan 25, 2002
    The frozen north
    I almost afraid to answer, sound is a personal thing and even if the Hevos amp is a great piece of equipment - as is many of the other amps mentioned above - it may still not be what you're looking for. So I wouldn't want to recommend you to buy the amp sight unseen unless you can return it if you don't like it, or you're not worried about the money. As the Hevos brand is new and fairly unknown it may also be more difficult to sell it if you don't like it, so it would be a bit of a gamble to buy without first hearing it.

The best you can do if you don't have access to the actual amps is probably to search for as many reviews as you can find and try to get a feeling for the differences from the descriptions. That's what I did, my short list was EA, Glockenklang and Hevos, and I finally chose Hevos over Glockenklang because of the tube preamp, the uncomplicated controls, small speakers and curiosity.

A complicating factor is also that you want to mix different brands. I have not heard the Epifani cabs, so it's difficult to know how well they and the Hevos amp work together. I bought the whole package from Hevos, thinking that that should have some better chance of sounding well together.

Sorry I can't make the decision for you... ;)

Good luck!

12. zoran

zoran

May 10, 2002
    croatia
    Try glockenklang bass art preamp, and you cannot miss. It's warm, open, transparent, and I play it flat with no eq at all. I've bought it unseen and it's the best thing I've ever did. We also record in studio with this jewel and no mather which instrument is recorded it's sound brilliant

13. Tightanic

Oct 26, 2000
    NYC
    Anders: Thank you, that's fine. Anyway, I don't have that much time at the moment, so not having to make final descicions isn't too bad either.
    After my exams are done in 2 weeks, I'll take a ride to "Jettingen-Scheppach" (a german hole where surprisingly the best bass related shop in southern Germany sits!) where they have a LOT of higher-end gear, from Aguilar to Epifani, EBS to SWR, not to mention all the fine Ken Smith, Elrick ... basses!
    I am looking forward to this, that's for sure!

Zoran: Thank you too for your input, maybe I end up buying the power amp and the cab first, and then order the Pre by mail, so I'll have the right to return it. Who knows, the Glock will find it's way into my rack? As I mentioned above, I've already owned Glockenklang gear, and it is without a doubt of unbeatable quality!

There are also some nice studio channel strips with front-input for instruments out there (for example the TL-5051, find out at: http://www.tlaudio.co.uk) which seem to be interesting. I guess it's woth a try, because I suspect most "bass brands" anyway of selling their stuff for excessive prices. Can't exactly get the point, why a studio tube (microphone-) preamp that makes my sound huge and punchy on the record shouldn't be able to drive a QSC poweramp into an Epifani cab!

14. Hi
    I had similar problems as you and end up with Warwick Quadruplet. Have you tried it? I like its sound very much and I saw it used on German Ebay even for less than 400 Teuros. I know, just another option, sorry, haven't tried Hevos yet. By the way, if you had a travel to Czech Rep. (I am from "Budweis"), you can try out mine.