Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hex Core Lo-Riders vs. Hi-Beams

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Mud Flaps, Nov 3, 2004.

1. Mud Flaps

Mud Flaps

Feb 3, 2003
    Norton, MA
    What's the difference between a Hex Core Lo-Rider and a Hi-Beam? Recently, I stopped using Medium-Lite Round Core Lo-Riders in favor of Medium Hex Core Lo-Riders. Which caused me to ponder the aforementioned question.

In a similar but unrelated scenario, I e-mailed DR about the difference between a Fat Beam and a Lo-Rider (Fat Beam's also have round cores). Their response was something along the lines of "the Fat Beam is more like a hybrid between a Lo-Rider and Hi-Beam." How does that work if it has the same core as a Lo-Rider? (All 3 of these strings are steel plated, I believe).

2. Hit the search button! Lot's of info on this matter...

But for starters HBs and FBs are both round core. LRs are hex-core (regardless of gauge). Tension-wise LRs are stiffest and HBs are the softest with FB inbetween. Other than that, the roundcore gives an unique feel to the string which best can be felt by trying to do a bend around the 12th fret. Soundwise they compare differently:
    Treble: HB has most, FBs and LRs are allmost the same
    Mids: FB has the most going on here, HBs has very smooth (not subdued) musically sounding upper mids, while LRs has a good deal of lowmid punch
    Bass: LRs has most bass with FB following and HBs with the least. Besides that HBs has some very good fundamentals but they tend to get lost in the mix, resulting in a somewhat thin sounding string.

To me the perfect string is a mix of all three: The shimmer of HBs, warm mids of FBs and tight lo-end of LRs. Good news is that this string exist. It's called Dean Markley Blue Steel (medium gauge for perfect punch) ;) :bassist:

3. RicPlaya

RicPlaya

Apr 22, 2003
    Whitmoretucky MI
    I play HB's on passives or short scale basses. LR's on active basses because of the dynamics of the strings. HB's are a little brighter, LR's are a little lower but both have a destinct DR sound that is very similar.