Hey a quick ?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by the oven mitt, May 23, 2003.

1. the oven mitt

the oven mitt Guest

May 23, 2003
    corinth ny
    hey im a new bassist for a ska band i have a epiphone 4 string and i wanna know if anyone has a comment on which bass i should get next
    e-mail me or im me thanks
  2. If I were in a Ska band, I would want something with a fast neck, so something like an American Jazz bass, or an Ernie Ball Sterling. This is all my opinion, but you should just try as many as you can, then pick. I don't think you could go wrong with either of my suggestions though.

3. people will tell you a million things, id say just go with what sounds good, feels good and looks good to you, in that order.

oh also get a 5 string ;) :D
  4. odie

odie Supporting Member

well I would look at the old stand by's. Like Fender, Ernie Ball etc.

The biggest thing that dictates what to get is usually your budget. How much you have to spend, and what your other equipment needs are.
  5. arose11

Sep 30, 2002
    Kalamazoo, MI
    yeah man leo fender designs are the shiznat. plus a fretless could work for ska...
  6. Tim Cole

Tim Cole

Jun 12, 2002
    Findlay, Ohio
    Sterling isn't a Leo Fender design....I don't think Leo would of named a bass after Ernie's son.....

Leo designed the Stingray 4...........
  7. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I'd have to Say a Sadowsky Standard 4.
  8. odie

odie Supporting Member

Ah yeah right!!

Dont we wish that was a realistic option!! :)

But Nino is unto something and that is get a classic or a spinoff of one.

For low end look at the Rondo web site at the SX line, or even a Hamer.
  9. I have mixed feelings on this, as a builder, I have always felt that it's a great thing when players find an instrument that works for them and best displays who they are, in tone, appearance and feel. Every player is an individual, and every player, no matter what their style, no matter what their experience level, will have their own voice, and their instrument should reflect that.
    However, as a player, I have often used a different instrument on different projects to get a certain sound. Also, I have seen enough evidence in my own playing and in my students to know that every player will have their own voice regardless of the instrument. I guess for me it depends on the project. When I go out and play in my own group, I use my "signature" instrument and sound, but if I'm recording for someone else or want a specific tone on a project, I'll use whatever gets the job done best. Oh well.
  10. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I'd say a Fodera Imperial Elite with a buckeye burl top.
  11. odie

odie Supporting Member

:eek: :D
  12. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    ButI didn't see any Price limit. ;):p Munjibunga option is a good one too.:hyper: