Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey about doing from ear

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by haleada, Jun 7, 2001.

1. haleada

haleada

Jan 13, 2001
    hey I am a fluent music student and i play baritone, tuba and trumpet. I have been playing bass for about 5 months and i can read music from sheet music and i am quite good but my ear is not yet really good on bass.

If perhaps you could get the song and try to do some and tab it for me i would be very thankful.

Thanks

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey haleada

you'll find that there are many horn players that move over to bass. i used to play trumpet, as did a bunch of other guys on this site. a guy named lump plays tuba along with bass.

since you probably can read notation, i would suggest that you find some notation for some bass songs and use that, along with the recordings, to educate your ear.

tab is bad, m'kay? ;)

3. jazzbo

jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    :confused:

4. Suburban

Suburban

Jan 15, 2001
    lower mid Sweden
    So, you play tuba? Isn't that bass clef notation? And a bass instrument......

Why don't you play your old tuba parts on the bass? You know how they should sound, so it would speed you up.

And,,,,,stay off the tabs, will you, please?;)

5. haleada

haleada

Jan 13, 2001
    The song is "Never give up"
    by the band "common sense"

6. tuba players read music in a lower register then do bass players. Trombone players, however, read music in the same area. One of the pros (can't remember which one) recommended getting trombone music and playing that.

7. Orco87

Orco87

Mar 26, 2000
    Texas
    It's taken a while for me to get my listening ear developed, and it's definitely not even fully developed. It's developed to the ability that I don't have to use tabs anymore. I see what these guys are saying about tabs, and it really can turn in to a bad habit if you're dependant on tabs too often, but tabs helped me learn the bass some. I gotta few songs down to memory and now I'm doing my best to work on all the important stuff like readin' music and stuff. Anypoop, just do the whole reading, listening, and/or playin the riff and you'll get an ear. It takes some time, quicker for some, slower for some.

....Word :cool: ;)

8. I had the same thought, you read notation and you're looking for tab?