Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey All! Im a new guy here, and Have a question to ask

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Dansbass, Sep 27, 2004.

1. Hey everybody!

My name's Dan and Im a newbie member here, this is my first post, very exciting!! I know Joe who posts here (the one with the Beneventes!) and I hope I can help a few people out and learn something new!!

Anyway on with my question!

I will hopefully be getting a new bass around the christmas/new year period, and Ive been looking around too see what good, left handed basses there are in my price range. So far, I've been looking at a Fender Standard P-Bass to go with my Jazz Bass and the Schecter Diamond series basses, which are within my price range, have humbuckers (which Ive been looking for) and come in lefthanded - the most important thing!

However, there are three options available with the Schecter. There is a five string, a six string and an Eight string. Now, I have some limited experience with five string basses and I have to say I like them. Im quite interested in the six string, because I reckon it would be good for experimentation with chord work in songs I write with my band. The unknown entity is the eight string, which I have never really looked at before due to me not being able to find them in lefthanded, but now Ive found one, Im very interested!!

So I have three questions:

1) Has anyone here had experience of Schecter Basses and would like to share what they thought of them

2) Which version do you think I should go for of the three schecters? - the five, the six or the eight? Or should I go for the PBass?

and 3) How difficult is playing an eight string compared to a four string? I play with fingers mainly and would like to know if its much more diffucult that playing a four before I even think of buying one!!

Thanks in advance

Dan

2. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    heya dan!

welcome to talkbass. :hyper:

1. minimal experience with schecters, the one's i've seen seemed worth the money.

2. i'd say either the 6 or the 8. go for something different - getting an unusual instrument like that can be a real inspiration for new material.

3. the difficulty factor is probably directly related to how much practice you put into it. i don't imagine there are a lot of folks who play 16th note triplets on a doubled-4 8 string, but i could be wrong, so i guess it depends on what you're willing to put into it practice-wise and what you want to get out of it.

3. I'd say Schecters are pretty good basses for the price. However, they feel more like Yamahas or Ibanezes than Fenders. So basically they're completely different beasts. I can't describe it, really, but they feel much different. You choose which sounds better. I'd say the Schecter is a solid bass but if you get a good Standard P it will likely smoke the Schecter. Of course I'm a big fan of the Fender sound and feel, which is why you have to try them out for yourself. Best thing to do is to try as many as you can of each. Same with the 5 or 6 or 8 string ordeal. Play them all and see which calls to you the most. You might not like the feel of the 6 compared to a 4 string Fender, for example. Try them all out. I'd say get the P, but if more strings is your thing, then by all means.

Oh, and welcome to TB!

4. Yea, I agree with what you're saying with about the different instrument for inspiration, I have a four string that I love, and that sounds great, but I just feel like I can only go so far with it at the moment, and feel like i could do with something I can experiment on.

Well, I would be prepared to put the practice in, I practice with the four string an awful lot, and if it wasnt too hard on the outset, I reckon I would give it a lot of practice!!!

Thanks for the advice!!

Dan

5. You see, Ideally, I would do that, but the selection of Basses in Northern Ireland is Abysmal, and I couldnt even find a left handed fender in any shop in this country!!! So at the moment, its going to have to be internet orders only, so I wont get the chance to try it out before I buy :(

Thanks for the welcome guys!!

Dan

6. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    If you don't mind looking like a complete buffon, then if a music store has righty basses of the version you're looking for, put it upside down in your lap (in the seated playing position) and run your hand up and down the neck so you'll at least have a feel of the neck profile before you plunk your money down on a lefty version.

It does suck that basses for lefties are limited. Warwick is one of the few I can think of that offer a lefty version of pretty much everything and not just a token lefty version of a likely not-so-high-rung model.

7. Carvin has a left handed version of every bass they make as well. I love my two carvins...

8. lucas vigor

lucas vigor Banned

Sep 2, 2004
    Orange County, Ca,
    I second the motion with Carvin....they make very high quality stuff!

BUT, if you are a newer player, you might want to stick with the p-bass...meat and potatos, nothing exciting, but it lets you get down to bassics..and as one poster said " it gets the job done"...

9. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Not so sure about the availablilty (or price) of Carvin in good ole Ireland fellas. ;)

Hey Dan, welcome aboard! Honestly, if I were you I'd stick to saving for that dream bass of yours: Pedulla! Get a five, you'll be happy that you did. :bassist:

10. Yea that's true I suppose!! I really should save up for the Pedulla, and who knows, if this job I have works out and Im kept on after christmas I might be able to afford one sooner than I thought.

Although, if I go for a Pedulla, it will be a four string, don't want to buy something I might not like, when I love playing four strings, its too much of a risk!!!

Dan

11. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    I LIVE IN IRELAND

i can sell you a log with88 strings all tuned to g and write carvin ont the top for a half penny :rollno:

12. As tempting as that offer is, I shall have to sadly decline.

Dan

13. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    My great grandfather immigrated to America,, from Belfast Ireland around 1900...

14. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    Dan....Randall here....do the right thing.....go for the Rickenbacker...... :eek:

RF

15. Ahaha good to see you here Randall, havent lost all of my mates from the GTU fiasco.

Hehe, strangely enough I was looking at Rics the other day, but my first love shall be my only love. I have decided not to buy a bass at the end of the year, and to wait till I have enough moeny to buy the Pedulla.

I think its the best decision!

Dan

16. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    Me too! ;) :bassist:

17. RandallFlagg

RandallFlagg Guest

Aug 18, 2003
    Kansas City
    GTU Fiasco? Didn't catch that one......

18. Hi Dan,
    6 & 8 strings take some getting used to, but it doesn't take too long.
    I also never saw a GTU fiasco :eyebrow:

19. never worry, It happened in discussion. Serves me right for going in there.......

Dan