1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey all, it looks like I just got a worm on one of my machines...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 27, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    So, if you get any e-mail from my address with an odd-title, delete it right away (unless it says "message from Brian Castle", which is me).

I'm not quite sure yet, but I'll find out for sure within the next six-to-eight hours, at which point the problem will be resolved.

Just a temporary heads-up for y'all, just in case....

2. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, I think I've isolated the machine in question. No problem. It was just one of the peripheral notebooks (outside of the firewall). No sweat, it'll take me maybe a few hours to bring it back up "clean". Sorry for the alarm, it was probably a false alarm (although if you get any bizarre e-mail, definitely delete it). God, I don't know about you guys, but this kind of stuff makes me spring into instant action. We were about ready to go to bed, maybe a half-hour or so ago. Fortunately I have tools that'll detect that kind of thing, and other tools that'll kill it. (The worm that is, not the going-to-bed part)... :)

3. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, problem resolved, the situation is under control.

The machine in question has been taken off-line, and it's being restored even as we speak.

It looks like only ten-or-so e-mails went out, and none to TB members, so y'all are safe.

Just in case though, the relevant time frame is somewhere between 3AM and 6AM this morning.

God-d*mn kids with too much time on their hands..... :)

No sweat, it seems like there's no need to worry. At least from my end, at this point.