Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey all, it looks like I just got a worm on one of my machines...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by nonsqtr, Aug 27, 2005.

1. nonsqtr

nonsqtr The emperor has no clothes!

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    So, if you get any e-mail from my address with an odd-title, delete it right away (unless it says "message from Brian Castle", which is me).

I'm not quite sure yet, but I'll find out for sure within the next six-to-eight hours, at which point the problem will be resolved.

Just a temporary heads-up for y'all, just in case....

2. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, I think I've isolated the machine in question. No problem. It was just one of the peripheral notebooks (outside of the firewall). No sweat, it'll take me maybe a few hours to bring it back up "clean". Sorry for the alarm, it was probably a false alarm (although if you get any bizarre e-mail, definitely delete it). God, I don't know about you guys, but this kind of stuff makes me spring into instant action. We were about ready to go to bed, maybe a half-hour or so ago. Fortunately I have tools that'll detect that kind of thing, and other tools that'll kill it. (The worm that is, not the going-to-bed part)... :)

3. nonsqtr

Aug 29, 2003
    Burbank CA USA
    Okay, problem resolved, the situation is under control.

The machine in question has been taken off-line, and it's being restored even as we speak.

It looks like only ten-or-so e-mails went out, and none to TB members, so y'all are safe.

Just in case though, the relevant time frame is somewhere between 3AM and 6AM this morning.

God-d*mn kids with too much time on their hands..... :)

No sweat, it seems like there's no need to worry. At least from my end, at this point.