1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey all, please HELP

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by bassgod94, Nov 1, 2010.

1. bassgod94

bassgod94

Jun 10, 2010
    I was playing my Ibanez Gio plugged into my Ibanez practice amp one day, turned the volume all the way up for fun (maybe not the best idea) but all thethe bass just didn't work. Thought I blew the amp or the cable but I plugged in my Jay Turser and it worked just fine. What did I do to my bass? What could've happened? I haven't taken it to my local store yet, wanted to consult you guys first.

2. Edit: My first question should have been if you heard any sound at all before. If your Gio has active electronics, you may need to change the 9V battery in the electronics compartment.

The amp volume has nothing to do with the bass cutting out. Maybe your Gio has a short in the jack. Sometimes the wires are attached by very small amounts of solder. Over time, the solder joints of the wire connections become weak. Probably just a coincidence that it decided to act up when you turned up the volume. (Just a guess: Maybe you were jumping around with it more than usual with the volume cranked.)

3. DarkArwen

DarkArwen

Oct 29, 2009
    I looked up your bass and couldn't tell whether it was active or not. At the risk of looking a bit dumb, it wouldn't need a new battery would it?

4. bassgod94

bassgod94

Jun 10, 2010
    Not sure, I'm rather new at bass guitar, been playing upright for a while but just picked up the electric about a year ago, I don't know if it's active pick ups on it

5. Spinal Tapper

Spinal Tapper

Nov 15, 2007
    Chicago
    I had a GIO, mine was passive.

Could be your jack on your bass...especially if you said your other bass worked fine (with the same cable too, I'm assuming)

6. bassgod94

bassgod94

Jun 10, 2010
    yeah, it was the same cable

7. rimtism123

rimtism123

Mar 25, 2009
    Birmingham, AL
    I'd say open her up and check out the wires and make sure that they're all connected solid.

8. bassgod94

bassgod94

Jun 10, 2010
    yeah ok