Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey all you 6 stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by thisSNsucks, Jun 19, 2005.

1. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Any of you ever played a Brice HXB-406? I'm really diggin the looks of that thing, the 35" scale and the 6 bolts for the neck. Anyone ever play one of these bad boys b4. Im just curious about the playability and pickups/pots. Thanks alot guys

2. Try a search in the massive Brice/SX/Douglas thread, if it'll let you. It's a mighty big thread now...

3. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    yeah i looked there, from what i can gather theres sumthing not so great about the finish, but i cant find anything on the acctualy playability or electronics. Just wanna know if its worth the money for a first 6 string beat around bass

4. EXH

EXH

Jun 18, 2005
    Windsor Locks, CT
    I'm in the same boat here, help!

5. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I heard they're real nice after you set them up. If all else fails, you could always replace that stuff and it'll still be cheaper than buying an expensive bass.

6. 8guy

8guy

Jun 19, 2005
    Madison WI
    Well If you dont mind a brand newbe on the board but someone whos been around basses for over 20 years opnion...ok I bought one in black and the finish is beautiful, The neck playability is great.
    The Neck is wide but not to wide and has a nice flat solid feel to it.
    the six bolt on neck keeps it solid, and the hardware is of above average choice.
    The electronics are good and offer a wide variety of sounds, although I was used to in most basses having a pick up selector, Getting use to the blend Knob is easy, Realy the only thing I had to do was run it by a friend and have the intonation and truss rods tweaked a little to get rid of some fret buzz.

After owning a lot of differant basses in my life and then walking away from it for a decade, I am more than pleased with my Brices.

7. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    Thanks for that mini review 8guy, hows the B on that bass? The 35" scale really makes that thing appealing, and that should mean the B is nice and tight, but you never know.

8. Pearldiver

Pearldiver

Apr 30, 2005
    I recently picked up a HXB-406 Black Quilted a couple of months ago and I am extremely pleased with it. :hyper:
    The bass arrived ready to play. With no need to restring (which I eventually did with DRs) or setup.

The neck is wide but still comfortable. The B string is extremely tight sounding, Even with my sloppy playing. :p The neck joint is as secure as it looks. As is the input jack. The finish is simply beautiful. When I pulled it out of it's case at my main gig (plug) everyone on the crew was both shocked and awed that such a beautiful instrument could be had for so little. Which of course I give Kurt and everyone at Rondo Music kudos for. :cool:

The only problem I have had is with the electronics. The bass has amazing output. With the active pups on it clips my Peavey combo even at low/moderate volume. It is also prone to hum, which to be completely fair is more a result of elements out of my control (ie the extensive theater lighting, old televisions on stage putting out interference etc) Thankfully I ordered a Boss NS-2 this week which hopefully along with my LMB-3 will be able to tame the beast down a little bit. As well as stop causing my soundwoman to crawl under the board in fear. :bag:

Regardless. Solid instrument. Great Sounding. Looks like a million bucks. Perfect for a first time 6 string.