Hey all. You ever seen one of these?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Sue Egypt, Aug 27, 2019.

1. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt Inactive

Apr 19, 2019
    Ashland, NC
    Rick Beardly is building a bass for me. It is an 8 string and I requested a pickup that would split to two outputs... essentially dividing the strings and sending 4 of them to separate amps. (He is very accommodating) Look at this massive pickup. I can't tell from the name if the good people at Nordstrand are amused or annoyed.
    image1(3).jpeg

2. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

That's a standard configuration for them. The Big Split Man is an off-the-shelf design, just not in that size:

Big SplitMan 5
    [​IMG]

Charlzm and rollie 55 like this.
  3. MattZilla

MattZilla

Jun 26, 2013
    CNY
    That is big, man.

JeroB666, rollie 55 and Sue Egypt like this.
  4. bolophonic

bolophonic

Dec 10, 2009
    Durham, NC
    I’m picturing a bass that is two feet wide.

5. mmbongo

mmbongo Regular Human Bartender Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Carolinas
    And split, too!

Sue Egypt likes this.
  6. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt Inactive

Apr 19, 2019
    Ashland, NC
    [​IMG] Thanks I Thanks wasn't aware of that.
    I would love to see the inside. Curious about the steel bit arrangement. Why they're offset. I'm learning about thi

7. BAG

BAG

May 5, 2014
    New Zealand
    I'm interested to know how they are split and how you'll be running it. Will it be the four lowest strings to one amp and the four highest to another amp?

I've got an 8 string (double course) bass which I play through bass amp and guitar amp via a splitter box. The bass amp is set as per my 4 string and the guitar amp has all the bass rolled off and a bit of reverb and dirt added for the high end strings. It sounds so much better than trying to get all the high and low frequencies out of one bass amp...even with a tweeter.

farace likes this.
  8. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt Inactive

Apr 19, 2019
    Ashland, NC

Yes that’s exactly right. Lower four to one amp and higher four to another. I play my bases like a Chapman Stick so I’m curious about what this will open up for me sound-wise

rollie 55 likes this.
  9. ardgedee

ardgedee

May 13, 2018
    It's to ensure the entire width of the vibrating string is over a pole piece. Other pickups do the same thing by using extra-large poles or putting a blade or bar across the whole pickup.

10. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt Inactive

Apr 19, 2019
    Ashland, NC
    That makes sense. Tks

11. MYLOWFREQ

MYLOWFREQ Supporting Member

May 13, 2011
    Nice brick!

Sue Egypt likes this.
  12. micguy

micguy

May 17, 2011
    I'm in the process of building a 5 string at present, and although I'm really obsessed with weight (back surgery will do that to you), and bought the lightest stuff I could in most cases, the thing is working out to be 8 and a half pounds (most of my 4 stringers are a pound or so lighter). Doing the weight budget for the thing, there is more weight to the neck, the bridge weighs more, the pickups weigh more, and (I hadn't really thought abut this until I started building) you have the weight of 5 strings - the B string weighs quite a bit more than even an E string, and net result, it's logical that a 5'er has to weigh a fair bit more, all else being equal.

How much does an 8 string weigh?

13. Who says size doesn't matter?

14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

It has less to do with getting more magnet under the strings, otherwise they'd just use bigger poles.
    The staggered poles make the aperture of the coil wider, which increases the mid. Specifically high-mids IME.
    Carey Nordstrand mentions how they just discovered this unique sound, sort of by accident:

Sue Egypt, equill, Tommy V and 3 others like this.
  15. JRA

JRA my words = opinion Supporting Member

:wideyed:

16. That looks like the cell phone I had in college.

17. Holdsg

Holdsg Talkbass > Work Gold Supporting Member

Sep 10, 2009
    Alta Loma, CA
    Big Split Man is a most excellent pickup. Loved the one I had

18. Sue Egypt

Sue Egypt Inactive

Apr 19, 2019
    Ashland, NC
    Good to know

19. Kukulkan61

Kukulkan61 Suspended Supporting Member

Feb 8, 2011
    Northern Arizona
    Overcompensation :woot::smug:

20. gidbass

gidbass Supporting Member

Aug 5, 2009
    Still much smaller than cell phones of my generation....;)

mdalamond likes this.
  21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 21, 2021