Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey all you old guys!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by joegeezer, Feb 18, 2006.

1. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Avatar Club#12 Eden Club Lucky# 13--USA Peavey Club#37 Carvin Club#5
    And some of you young guys too, who might know. I have this Epiphone, that I posted on another thread, but it's not getting seen much, so I thought I'd try this. From the serial number, I think it's a 1965. As I understand it, Epiphone used to get all of the Gibson parts, from their older models, to use up. This one has all the 1963-64 Thunderbird pickups and hardware, and is a long scale. You see alot of the short scales out there, but they don't have the Thunderbird parts. Does anybody know what they called this one, or what model nuber it is? I'm 52, and I have only seen one other one of these in my lifetime.

2. John Coxtosen

John Coxtosen Music Geek/Bass Nerd

May 25, 2005
    Duluth, MN
    I know the short scale ones are called Newports. Maybe the long ones are too.

3. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Maybe, but I've never been able to find anything that can say for sure.

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
  5. i believe it to be a-
    Epiphone Embassy Deluxe Bass:
    1963-1967. solidbody, double-cut, 2 p-ups, tune-o-matic bridge, cherry finish.
    1963-1964, $1,100 - $1,400
    1965-1966, $900 - $1,400 (us)

:cool:

6. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    Tried Google. I can't find another one on the internet anywhere. Anbody from Gibson, on this site? i know the Epiphone name, was long sold , but there must be records somewhere. Highway one Jazz, have got any pics???

7. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    cfh@provide.net
    This is the email of the guy's web site I linked to. Maybe he has a clue.

8. my book has 1 photo of the Embassy, it's a black and white photo, but appears to be you're bass. same pick-guard, same thumbrest. the photos show it with pick-up, and, bridge covers. the book is The Official Vintage Guitar Magazine's Price Guide 2005. i ordered it at Barnes and Noble, last year.
    best $25 i have ever spent. time to order the new one.:cool:

9. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    HighwayOneJazz, gets the big prize here. I found one on Google, using that as a search. A blues player named Joel Kobelin, uses one on a blues site called kingmuddfish.com

Thanks alot, I have been looking for a couple of years now. So there is a few of these left I guess. The necks are very fragile, and with that big head, I imagine alot of them were broken off long ago.

10. Sell Sell Sell!

:)

11. joegeezer

joegeezer

Mar 9, 2005
    Northern Wisconsin
    This ones not for sale. Never find another for the price I have in this one. They DO sound exactly like the old Thunderbirds. I used to play a '63 back in the day. The bass player in Cheap Trick has my old T-Bird now.

Also: I see that there is an original Gibson EB-1, a sweet one, on e-bay right now! Wish I could win that lottery!!

12. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    [​IMG]

Here's my '66 Embassy. It sounds exactly the same as the non-reverse Thunderbirds I've owned. The reverse bodied 'birds sound a little different due to the thru neck. Embassies and non reverse 'birds have set necks. That's a beautiful bass you've got there!

13. west*coast*bass

west*coast*bass Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Agoura Hills, CA
    Out of curiosity, at what age are we considered "old guys"?

14. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    At least you're subtle to getting the younger genereations attention.

-Mark

15. puff father

puff father

Jan 20, 2006
    Endicott, NY
    Newport 100's? :bag:

16. 69'Vette

69'Vette

Jan 28, 2003
    Cedar Hills, UT
    :D

Here's another old guy with great taste in basses: