Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, all.

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Jul 6, 2002.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Sorry about my absence for anyone that missed me, and apologies for my reappearance for those that didn't. My PC smoked a while back and I've been in and out of town quite a bit and so haven't had the time or ambition to fix the digital time-soak. One of the more liberating experiences I've had since I tossed out the TV set.

In the interim, I've been working on some neat stuff. Specifically I've been expanding TP down to about G on the D string with the thumb and found that intonation is very do-able. My Anglo/Germanic (read manic) chromosomes require that I systemize the whole effort somehow, so I'll keep all up to date as this unfolds. What is really neat, and maybe wierd, about this effort is hearing this register of the bass sounding so fluent. It really kind of screws with your ears. This also flys in the face of my effort to rid the bass of multiple fingerings for a given region of the bass, but the benefits of this are really starting ot outweigh the cost, blah, blah blah. Prett cool stuff, ultimately.

I'll be back in NYC late next week, hopefully with a working PC under my arm, so for those that have taken pleasure in my lack of presence --- soooorry, dudes :)

Checking in from Toledo, OH,

Ray Parker,
    Bassist at Large.

2. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Good to see you back, Ray. For all you NY cats, (Don, Ed, etc.), I'll be there on the 17th and am looking forward to checking out you guys in person, so e-mail me your gig schedule, and I'll call when I get there. So far I'm going to two different shows. Thurs. the 18th I'll go to the Fez to see the Mingus Big Band, and Friday the 19th I'm going to see the Danny Moore Quintet (Eric Alexander on tenor, Harold Mabern on piano, John Webber on bass, and Joe Farnsworth on drums) at Smoke. Harold Mabern is one of my favorite pianist, and I have a ton of Eric Alexander on cd. I'm supposed to call John Hicks when I get there, and hopefully he will get me tickets to see him with Curtis Lundy and Victor Lewis the next weekend.

I'm looking forward to it!

Monte

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Definitely look me up. (917) 723-6581

4. Ray:

I regularly use TP well down below the octave, at least to D on G (is that what you meant) and sometimes even lower. Petrachi's higher positions book got me started on this, and it has some useful shifting and intonation exercises for this technique.

This approach is very handy if you're already in TP further up and want to move down briefly before going back up. Opens up new approaches to fingering. Great for crab-type shifts, also.

But beware. IMHO, biggest problem going too low with TP, aside from intonation getting a little challenging, is as you go to lower psitions in TP, the forearm needs to twist more to keep the thumb out front. This starts to introduce tension, and the contorted position makes easy, fast shifting much harder.

Never heard you expound on your "single fingering for each zone" approach to fingering theory, but on the face, I would disagree. For me, the more fingering approaches I have control of, the more tools in my arsenal. For me, fingerings are all about where you're going to and where you're coming from, more than where you are, so one fingering for one fingerboard region doesn't seem logical.

But hey, whatever works for each player is best for that player. (as long as you keep an open mind)

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I have a thread started here called 'Fingering' that will give you a pretty strong rundown of where I'm coming from on the technique/fingering thing.

6. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    It looks like the motherboard smoked on my PC, so I won't be seen much again for a bit. It's kind of nice being in the stone age again, though...