Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Andy! Hey Andy! (Part II)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Flatwound, Apr 28, 2001.

1. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    OK, so I got the Fender pickups and put them in my P today. I'm not sure what these are, but the guy said they came out of his AS Precision when he put in some Original '62's. These had the thick, waxy insulation on nice, pre-tinned wire, and appeared to be wax-potted. Certainly a much higher class of pickups than came in my MIJ bass. They have fiber bobbins, Alnico magnets, and run somewhere around 11.4 K Ohms DC resistance. Does that sound like an American Standard set?

My first impressions are favorable. In this particular bass, I've had the original MIJ-style pups (weak and noisy), Seymour Duncan SPB-3 and SPB-2, and now the Fender. So far, no pickup has bowled me over, they've all been adequate, but I'll keep the Fender in at least for the forseeable future. Here are my (somewhat general) impressions:

Original pup: Weak and noisy. Probably adequate, but not optimal.

Seymour Duncan SPB-3 Quarter Pound: Much better than the stocker, more output and a lot more highs. However, the highs IME were somewhat harsh and clicky. Not as much output as I expected, but still somewhat hot. Those big quarter inch magnets look really cool.

Seymour Duncan SPB-2 Hot: A really nice pickup. I expected the highs to be somewhat muted and I thought this one would tend toward boominess. That's not what I experienced. The highs were definitely smoother than those of the SPB-3, but I could still get a pretty clean sound. You wouldn't want to boost the lows too much with this pup, to avoid overloading the low end. The magnets are about standard diameter, but stick waaay up out of the covers.

And finally, the American Std. pickup (if that's what it really is). Looks like a P pickup, naturally. Alnico magnets and probably a more balanced sound than any of the above. More highs than the SPB-2, but not so harsh as the SPB-3. Andy may be right on this one.

I took the SPB-2 out to make room for the Fender, and used the same set of strings (new DM Blue Steels), so that I could make a valid comparison. Definitely a different sound, and still plenty of output.

2. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    I played this AM at church, using my new A.S. pups in my MIJ, and our sound guy said it sounded nice and clear. I've had a little trouble with muddiness, so that's good news.