Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey anyone ever here of westone basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Broach_insound, Feb 25, 2005.

1. Broach_insound

Broach_insound

Jan 25, 2005
    New York
    Hey wadup i might get this used westone vintage bass for like 20$ at an auction are they any good?

2. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    You love em or you hate em, some are junk, but if you love that old vintagey stuff, go for it. No matter what it's worth $20.

3. My very first bass was a Westone Rail. It looked like a Steinberger except it was basically a two piece body separated by two rails that the pickup slid back and forth on for different tones. It was very interesting, I wish I still had it for a conversation piece. If anyone has one I might be interested...

Jay

4. eots

eots

Dec 18, 2004
    Morris, IL.
    A strat copy but w/ a hardtail. Which was why I got it in the 1st place. No whammy to mess things up. How often do you see a hardtail strat copy? Anyway, it was my intro to westone. I've looked them up on ebay several times and there always seems to be a least 1/2 a dozen guitars/basses., usually with interesting paint jobs. Can you say 80's hair band? Mine was plain 'yellowed' white however.
    There was several holes where the front strap button had stripped out and moved to a new location. They must've used soft wood perhaps. I'd get another Westone in a bass if I got it for a bargain.

5. I played a Westone Thunderbass for years. I know more about many aspects of bass now but at the time it served me well.

6. the rail bass really interested me, mainly for that movable pickup idea...
    anyways, my experiance with them is that they are cheap guitars/basses, and i think 20 dollars is just enough to spend!

7. martymar

martymar

Feb 3, 2005
    i've got a rail that was, somewhere along the way, defretted. it's a joy to play and sounds really nice.

i've also recently acquired a dimension IV (sort of an explorer shape) that was really abused. it needs some serious TLC, but so far it's looking really promising, the pickup that still works has a remarkable growl to it.

i think i'm hooked.

8. markorbit

markorbit

Apr 16, 2004
    I had a Thunder 1A in the early 80s. At the time these basses were decently priced for an active bass. I have some old recordings that I did with it and let me tell you - it sounds great, both warm and punchy. Many basses I have owned since have not sounded as good. It excelled in the studio if those recordings are anything to go by.

Fond memories of the Westone.

9. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    There's also a recent thread about Westones, search for it and check it out for pics and more info.