Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey!!!!! Are Stingrays good 5stringers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by actinglikeafreak, Jun 12, 2001.

1. actinglikeafreak

actinglikeafreak Guest

Apr 24, 2000
    Puerto Rico
    YAY!!!!!
    I got some money extra actually, my parents said they will help me with some 400-500 dollars, which is enough to buy my dream bass, is a Stingray 5 good for a first 5 stringed bass? or should i stick with the original 4? or should i buy another bass altogether? i dunno, at first the price was a problem but now that i have some more $$$ i can buy the stingray, is my desicion wise? i know bass, ive played for a while and have a pretty impressive rig and ive played places, im just looking for that extra punch in my slap playing and a lower end, (thats why i want a 5 string in the first place) but are stingrays good five stringed basses?
    I loved some of the basses ive been suggested and i might buy them if the stingray thing doesnt work, but i would definetly buy the stingray, expecially since i play lots of funk, plus ive seen and heard it in action and i said "THAT WILL BE MY BASS!!!!!"
    so any help anyone who has played, owned or heard a stingray 5 any suggestions and thanks to infinity to all who helped me in my past thread youve cleared alot of paths for me

2. If a 5 string is what you want, and you like the Stingray sound, I'd say you can't go wrong with the Ray 5.

In my opinion, Stingray 5's have great low B strings. On my fretless Ray 5, the B feels and sounds just like the other strings. I've tried at least 4 other Stingray 5's out in stores (all fretted) and they all had equally good B strings.

I'd say that all Musicman basses (Stingray 4, Stingray 5, and the Sterling) are good slap basses with plenty of finger tone as well.

Bassplayer did a huge review of a bunch of 5 strings at http://www.bassplayer.com/gear/5string.shtml . It's worth giving the article a good read if you're looking at 5 stringers. There's also a writeup on the Stingray 5 in there.

3. phil_chew

phil_chew

Mar 22, 2000
    Asia
    The Stingray 5 has one of the best low B's among the 5 string basses, including the high end ones.

4. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    I am very happy with my Stingray fiver. You didn't say how much you were going to spend. There are quite a few mint used Stingray 5's out there for $800-$900 so I personally wouldn't spend $1200-$1400 on one. Enjoy.
    Doc

5. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    i love how the B feels on a 'ray 5...

but alas, my hands are too girly to handle the string spacing and the width of the neck.

jason

6. Freak,

I've been playing for many years now, and the SR5 is my second 5 string. At this point I dont feel I'll ever need to replace it. I say go for it. It's an excellent instrument at a great price, and has one of the best low B's out there. (IMHO, of course!)

BTW, if you're looking for that extra punch, I'd also recommend the maple fingerboard. :)

7. G

G

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    I once owned a SR5 with a mapel fingerboard and the piezo pickup option. It was a fantastic bass when it worked. I am really sorry I don't have it anymore.

However, I highly reccommend StinRay 5s. One of hte best 5s out there IMO.

8. TonyS

TonyS

Dec 13, 1999
    USA
    Another vote for the String Ray 5. I'm very pleased with mine.

9. seamus

seamus

Feb 8, 2001
    Jersey
    If you like the Stingray sound, the Stingray 5's are awesome. Killer B string, arguably the best 34" scale B in the business.

The SR5 was one of my two top choices for a new 5 string. I opted for an L-2500 in the end because the G&L offers a broader tonal variation.