Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, AZ bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flavorfactory, Apr 7, 2002.

1. I used a 400-RB with an SWR S-15C for 8 years. I recently switched to an SWR 350, simply because I wanted a little more headroom. The S-15C (like the S-15D) is an 8 ohm cabinet, so the 400RB only drove the speaker with 120 watts. That meant in situations where I had to play loudly, I maxed myself out pretty quickly. Still, it gave me great control over my tone.

With the SWR, I'm still only getting 220 wats going into the speaker -- but that's 100 watts more than I had.

One other thing to consider about the GK -- it's completely solid state, so it (to me) has a slightly less warm tone than tube or tube-preamp systems.

2. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey, Flavorfactory, thanks! That makes me think I should invest a little more for the 700RB, giving the same 220w as yours. And if I ever needed more power, I could use the 700RB as a preamp for a power amp. Minor correction on the 400RB: it's rated 150w into 8 ohms.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Could someone please explain to me the who bi-amp thing with the 700RB I will most likely buy the 400RB-III but I may consider saving the extra dough.

4. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    ? The 400RB III costs about $150 or so less than the 700RB. You won't save money buy buying the 700RB.