1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Hey, AZ bass

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by flavorfactory, Apr 7, 2002.

1. I used a 400-RB with an SWR S-15C for 8 years. I recently switched to an SWR 350, simply because I wanted a little more headroom. The S-15C (like the S-15D) is an 8 ohm cabinet, so the 400RB only drove the speaker with 120 watts. That meant in situations where I had to play loudly, I maxed myself out pretty quickly. Still, it gave me great control over my tone.

With the SWR, I'm still only getting 220 wats going into the speaker -- but that's 100 watts more than I had.

One other thing to consider about the GK -- it's completely solid state, so it (to me) has a slightly less warm tone than tube or tube-preamp systems.

2. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    Hey, Flavorfactory, thanks! That makes me think I should invest a little more for the 700RB, giving the same 220w as yours. And if I ever needed more power, I could use the 700RB as a preamp for a power amp. Minor correction on the 400RB: it's rated 150w into 8 ohms.

3. ndjx

ndjx

Oct 26, 2001
    MN
    Could someone please explain to me the who bi-amp thing with the 700RB I will most likely buy the 400RB-III but I may consider saving the extra dough.

4. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    ? The 400RB III costs about $150 or so less than the 700RB. You won't save money buy buying the 700RB.