Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Behringer Bass V-AMP users! i need some info!

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by superbassman2000, Jan 1, 2005.

1. well, i've been looking around for a new rackmount multi-effects unit that is midi-controllable to (possibly) replace my ART Nightbass SE unit. one frontrunner is the Bass V-AMP (rackmount version) and i have been reading up on it, but still have a few questions.
    1.) does it do pitch-shifting?
    2.) can i put the effects in any order that i want them to be in?
    3.) is it pretty reliable?

yeah...if it weren't for those three unknowns, i'd have it by now!!

Charlie

2. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Okay, keeping in mind that I have the smaller unit and not the rackmount, so your mileage may vary...

1). Nope
    2). You can only use one effect at a time, plus distortion and compression
    3). Yup

3. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    1.) does it do pitch-shifting? -Downwards only
    2.) can i put the effects in any order that i want them to be in?- By editing the presets, yes. You can use 1 time-effect, 1 of 3 wahs, 1 of 5 distortion models, compression, De-noiser, amp/speaker model and a crossover joke at the same time. But, it much easier to set these up if the unit is connected to a computer, Via MIDI and the V-amp Design software.
    3.) is it pretty reliable?-yes, however I use mine in my home studio. I use a Digitech BP-200 and a bunch of single effect when playing out.

4. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    I would agree with the above reply on points 1 and 2 however my unit (not the pro) has been totaly unreliable. the battery seems to go almost every couple of months which means you loose all the presets and any custom sounds. i was told about this problem in the shop when i took it back the first time and have read about others having the same problem on the yahoo message board.
    Was thinking of using it live but cant trust it, also its noisy at times.

Dave.

5. Bongolation

Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    California
    No Bogus Endorsements
    These are getting so cheap that I thought I'd get one to doink around with, but noise would make it a total non-starter, as I'd be using it for recording, mainly...though conceivably for a front-end on a gig head with a power amp.

What do you mean by "noisy at times"?

Noise is usually a constant.

6. RoyQBiv

RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    I'm guessing he means that on some models with higher gain settings or with certain effects...I haven't had too much trouble with noise, personally.

7. All three would be "no." I'd stay away from the v-amp. I have one, and it is not reliable at all.

8. dave_bass5

dave_bass5

May 28, 2004
    London, UK.
    Sorry yes i meant with certain amp sims there seems to be a lot of background noise, i guess this might be like the real thing but it makes using them a bit tricky.
    Funny enough i got rid of a BassPodxt to get my V-amp. i felt there was more life in the v-amp and i wanted the ext audio in but now wished i hadnt.

Dave.

9. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I don't have any regrets about my BVAP. It does what I need and hasn't let me down.

10. John Herzog

John Herzog

Jun 14, 2002
    Schertz, TX
    I had one and hated it. You could get some nice sounds out of it, but there was a delay in switching patches and every time I switch patches mid-song I would get this loud pop that made it unusable.

I got the pod xt and haven't had any problems like that. The two things the v-amp had above the xt was that it had a few guitar amp models and stereo effects instead of the mono only like the xt.

11. Robear22

Robear22 Supporting Member

Sep 28, 2004
    Beach Park, Ill
    I have it and use it all the time. Haven't had problems with it. I do agree about the noise on some of the patches but this is for someone that likes to 'fiddle' with knobs. A plug and play person would have a hard time finding good sounds out of this unit. The goodness is inside you just have to play around to find it.

[​IMG]

12. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    I've got the non-pro and I love it (going to get the pro version soon). It's been very reliable for me.

13. How long have you had it? Mine crapped out on me after a year or so.

14. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Close to two years, at least a year and a half. When I originally got it I used it straight into a QSC PA -> speakers, but now I've actually built a pedal board for the whole thing and (w/ the floor switch) use it like a normal pedal multifx in my signal chain. I pretty much only use the tube preamp and I have the config set to the Live3 [iirc] (it's the left: amp sim, fx, but no cab, right: straight DI) setting.

15. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    I've had my BVAP for nearly 2 years. I use mine as an effect unit in my recording system. No problems.

16. I've had mine for a few weeks, I'm a big fan. I'm still working out how to connect it to my computer tho :\

17. lbanks

lbanks

Jul 17, 2003
    Ennui, IN USA
    You'll need a usb-to-midi adapter. Connect it to the midi ports on back of the BVAP.
    [​IMG]
    Or a soundcard adapter....
    [​IMG]