1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey Bergantino IP users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Flat Bass, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Are you able to power another cab with a signal off the IP. I was thinking about the IP 212 with a HT 115. If not possible doesnt the IP kind of limit you? If not what are options of running with other cabs?

2. I'm not an owner, but have had the pleasure of playing out of them at Tom B's house.

The larger IP cabs (310 and 212) are optimized to get the full, safe power out of the amp at 4ohms, so you cannot power an external cab. However, there is no gig on earth I can think of that you would need more power, sound, or volume than a single 310 or 212. You do need to think about if the Bergantino sound is to your liking, and the somewhat complex issue of matching a preamp to optimize the unit, but needing to run another cab is a zero issue. The 310 puts out the sound and low end of two 410's with lots of watts to my ear.

The smaller IP112 is an 8ohm cab, and designed to be used with another 8ohm cab. From what I understand, if you tell Jim which of his cabs you will be pairing with it, he can program a DSP setting to optimize the combination.

Hope that makes sense.

K

3. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    There is no way a 3-10 puts out more sound than a 4-10 in any situation. It is not moving as much air? It may sound like it to you but it is not trust me. That makes no sense that a 3-10 with 1000w into it sounds louder than a 4-10 with 1000w. It is impossible.

4. You are absolutely incorrect. Speaker efficiency, tuning, voicing, the quality of the ingoing amplification, the quality and design of the speakers themselves, compression, optimal tuning of the amp to the cab, etc., etc. can have a HUGE impact on actual and perceived volume. Speaker cone surface area is just one part of the equation.

As most know, I'm not in love with the IP's, but it ain't because they aren't loud.

Edit: I would agree with you that an identically designed IP410 would be louder than the identically tuned and spec'd IP310... but that doesn't exist at the moment.

5. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well I am pretty sure it will not do what I want it to do anyways. Thanks for the input. I wish it would be able to power another cab. If it would I would have the 2-12 IP and a HT 115.

6. Cool! Just so you know, the IP310 and 212 have way, way, way, way more low end bass response than the HT115, again due to the DSP, etc.

Good luck on your search.

7. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

You might want to try the IP before you make any decisions. They aren't voiced like any other cab I've heard.

And yes, they get REALLY, REALLY loud. So loud you can't believe all that sound is coming from a single box. But that's the advantage of the DSP -- the power amp is PERFECTLY matched to the cabinet, and the drivers in the cabinet are the best available. The result is that you are able to push the cab to outrageous volumes, with no breakup. It's counter-intuitive to think that a 310 can be as loud or louder than an 810, but that's assuming that everything else is equal, which is not true in the case of the IP series, thanks to the DSP. The low end on them is so big that many IP users have to cut the lows in some rooms or it's too overwhelming.

They're expensive, though. I would never advise someone to spend that kind of money on something they didn't get to try out extensively. Some people are used to cabs having a certain sound, and don't like the IP series at all as a result.

Good luck in your search.

8. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    remote mountain cabin Montana
    greenboy designs: fEARful, bassic, dually, crazy88 etc
    Actually I've seen and used processor-driven PA gear that does twice the job as gear without smart processing. It ain't just about how many drivers are in a box.

9. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    +1

Many, many sound men will attest to this as well.

10. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

you've OBVIOUSLY never tried one.

11. arbitrary

arbitrary Supporting Member

Oct 24, 2005
    Boston, MA
    I'm not sure I follow what this means...:help:

12. He means that an internal circuit like the IP's digital signal processor, through the use of different compression, EQ, etc., can 'fool' a small speaker cabinent into behaving more like a bigger one:bassist:

13. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    Like kevlar underbritches on a whily lad: he can howl twice as loud as the other fellows while taking half the punishment at the evil headmaster's cane ministrations.

It's not out of the realm of practical expectations to see tailored processing on bass gear fall down into lower price brackets in the next few years if there is demand and it is percieved by populist manufacturers. Roland's D-Bass stuff is incredible (I haven't heard the Bergantinos yet), Line6 could be a likely contender, Peavey, etc.

It does require power-amp-to-cab bundling as opposed to head-style pre-power bundling to be the most effective if it's to be done cheaply. Otherwise we could just all go out and buy the cheapest Peavey Speaker Management System or dbx Driverack config right now and have probably 90% or the game provided we are canny at doing the measurements and programming for our particular rigs.

14. BartmanPDX

BartmanPDX Supporting Member

That's my new sig, right there.

15. Hrothgar

Hrothgar Guest

Sep 22, 2003
    Seattle
    I'm not sure what you need it to do that it can't, but I can tell you that I run the IP112 stack and it's way louder than I need for all the gigs I play, which many are large venues which hold around 2000+ people. And the band asks me to turn it down. I have also used it for a speed metal band in the past and had the same "problem." The IP310 is even bigger sounding, and for reference, is considerably louder (and way better sounding) than my old PLX1600/Demeter VTBP-201 into 2 Acme 410s. Cheers, and good luck in finding what you need. ;)

16. cheezewiz

cheezewiz Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2002
    Ohio

I'm thinking the original poster is more worried about "posing with a big stack" than actual sound. After all, if the single IP provided all the volume and tone needed, what other reason would there be to ad a 115, other than "looks"?

17. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    Well first of all I live in a place where there is nothing Bergantino remotely close to me. Isnt this a place where you are supposed to come and ask questions? I still dont see how 30 inches of speaker could move more air than 40. That is the physics of sound? Are telling me Mr. Jim has outperfomed the natural laws of physics? I dont care what amp is driving it and what some sound guys say. It might sound better but it will not move more air. I am not trying to start an argument here but I have heard this kind of crap before when the eden 2-10 came out and people were raving about them. I tried one out in the store and it blew! I hate 10' speakers anyways because they bottom out to quickly. There is no way possible that a 3-10 could take the place of an 8-10 cab. It might sound better but it will not move more air. I have been using a Bag End S-15XD stack for about the past 6 years so I am totally worried about about how big my rig looks jack ass.

18. greenboy

greenboy

Dec 18, 2000
    I'm not understanding why you come here to ask questions if you already know all the answers, to be frank. I mean, something that can move that much figurative air without playing very many right notes just isn't as efficient as something that can ; }

I suggest reading some trade journals or joining the AES or something.

19. didier

didier

Aug 4, 2005
    NC

I think the important thing that you may be overlooking is that not all 10s, nor the cabs they are in, are equal. I am not trying to be snotty in any way, please don't take it that way. The design, power handling, etc of the speaker makes a huge difference, as does the cabinet its in. But you know that, surely.

What people are trying to say is that the IPs were not designed to drive an extension cab, and they have no reason to ever think they would need to power another cab from the IPs.

If you think you might need such SPL, it could be worth getting non-powered cabs, then you can stack as many of them as you could ever need and with the right amp you will knock the moon off its orbit. Or maybe get a pair of IPs, then you will be worshipped and all this contention will melt into air.

20. Flat Bass

Flat Bass

Dec 8, 2002
    You are answering a question that I never even asked? I asked can you use another 8 ohm cab with the IP? Not can your IP cab move the planet? Come on guys?