Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, British Football fans...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by bassmonkeee, Aug 23, 2005.

1. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
  2. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    Actually, yeah, it's a pretty big deal.

I was pretty active in the soccer/"real football" community in the Orlando, FL area back then, was watching that game with a room full of ex-pat Brits that I played the game with, and they damn near tore the pub we were in apart. They were furious, and I was pretty upset by it too.

I'd be willing to bet that our UK contingent checks in to say something here...

...and it WAS pretty obvious that he'd done it to everyone watching (sorry Argentines, but he CHEATED, and got away with it... :meh: )...

3. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
  4. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
  5. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    I remember that very clearly - it incensed me at the time! It made a huge sensation over here, obviously, and remains one of the defining moments in the fortunes of English football.

Have to say, though, that in that game he also scored one of the best goals I've ever seen in my life, shortly after the "hand of God" incident. Not that that means forgiveness for the first one, though...

6. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Chances are he wouldn't have scored the second goal, had he been booked for the handball.

I'm assuming that this...

[​IMG]

...is only a yellow card offence?

7. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    No way, deliberate hand ball in the box is a sending off offence.

8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

For defenders, yes ...not so sure about strikers....:meh: ?

9. He's a bloated, coke-addicted tosser - and will never be forgiven for this...

10. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    The rules of the game don't discriminate between "classes" of player :)

11. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    No, but they discriminate between modes of play...

Sending-Off Offences
    A player is sent off and shown the red card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of serious foul play
    2. is guilty of violent conduct
    3. spits at an opponent or any other person
    4. denies an opponent a goal or an obvious goal-scoring opportunity by deliberately handling the ball (this does not apply to a goalkeeper within his own penalty area)
    5. denies an obvious goal-scoring opportunity to an opponent moving towards the player's goal by an offence punishable by a free kick or a penalty kick
    6. uses offensive, insulting or abusive language
    7. receives a second caution in the same match

A player who has been sent off must leave the vicinity of the field of play and the technical area.

12. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I think it would be covered more by this...

A player is cautioned and shown the yellow card if he commits any of the following seven offences:

1. is guilty of unsporting behaviour
    2. shows dissent by word or action
    3. persistently infringes the Laws of the Game
    4. delays the restart of play
    5. fails to respect the required distance when play is restarted with a corner kick or free kick
    6. enters or re-enters the field of play without the referee's permission
    7. deliberately leaves the field of play without the referee's permission

13. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yes that's what I was referring to - so if when defending a goal-scoring opportunity, you use your hands (and are not the goalkeeper!) then it's clearly stated in the rules as a red-card offense..

But there is no mention in the rules, of a striker handling the ball into the net being a red-card offense...

14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    Yep, the way I read it, it's a yellow card offence with a direct free kick. Unless, of course, he already had a yellow card?

15. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    I suppose it could be argued that the initial foul was followed up by a second one of deception.

16. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Its not the first time, and it won't be the last time. In my defence I had only just woken up.

- If it was upto me I'd send off every Argentinian that stepped on a football pitch on general principle ;)

17. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Scotland
    At 10 am?

Lazy swine.

18. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    I had a feeling it was a big deal--I just thought I'd get more responses if I phrased it that way. :D

I'm so glad I started this thread. It's going much better than the last Futball thread I started. :bag:

19. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    Are you sure, most refs would show the yellow over here.