Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey builders, suggest a jointer!

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by Basschair, Aug 29, 2005.

1. Basschair

Basschair .............. Staff Member Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    I've found quite a few good reviews on the two jointers I'm considering. Both are pretty entry-level, and seem to have "normal" issues in quality. I'm considering the Jet 6" closed-stand (jj-6csx, if you're interested) versus the Delta 6" closed-stand (37-275x).

Since you guys do the work on a daily basis that I'm getting more and more into, you'd know better how suited these are to bass-building (assuming you've used one of both before, or at least the brands). Any thoughts on quality, any probs you've encountered? I'll be heading out this weekend to start pricing things, so let me know if you have suggestions on these or other comparable brands.

Thanks!

2. Every single jointer review I've ever read right down to the credits has said to get the longest planer bed and infeed table you can. It makes sense, especially if you are going to process longer pieces, having the extra support.

3. budman

budman Commercial User

Oct 7, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Formerly the owner/builder of LeCompte Electric Bass
    I've got the Delta. It ain't that great but it gets it done.

4. BeauLeopard

BeauLeopard BLDesign Custom Basses

Apr 14, 2005
    Rochester, NY
    I used a Jet 6" jointer for years and loved it. Out of the different Jet and Delta machines I've used generally Jet seems to offer the same or more machine for less $. Hambone is right in saying that the bed length is very important for long stock but another thing to consider is blade width. If you regularly need to face joint pieces wider than 6" your out of luck and unfortunately once you get above a 6" cutterhead the prices skyrocket as you get into more industrial machines. I recently sold my Jet and went into hock to buy a Robland XSD310, 12" jointer/planer combo. The thing is amazing but then again it better be for what it costs! Now I can process big figured slabs to be resawn for tops... 'course I had to get a bigger bandsaw too for all that resawing but that's for another thread.:D

5. Of course, just as you say that, there's this :D ...

http://www.grizzly.com/products/ite...AB4D-458D-4CA1-BA95-0741DB07D8DC&site=grizzly

6. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Well, now there's a new contender: General International. I can get a better price, same cutter width and number, and longer bed than the Jet/Delta. Hmmm......Of course, it concerns me that I've never used anything by them. I'll have to check and see what kind of satisfaction guarantee the store I'm going to has.

7. Scott French

Scott French Dude Supporting Member

May 12, 2004
    Grass Valley, CA
    I've used the Jet you mentioned for about a year with no trouble. I would have got a grizzly with all of my other tools but they didn't have anything in stock even close to what I wanted.

8. Tdog

Tdog

May 18, 2004
    If General International is the same General that is headquartered in Quebec, it should be a substantial machine. I've had my General lathe ( a longbed with 8ft between centers!) for almost 10years and it is built like the proverbial brick-you know what!

9. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    :D

I think "International" means that some of it was outsourced. Apparently it still got good reviews in American Woodworker...we'll see.

10. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    I've got a Delta with a 48" table. It rocks.

11. I use a #7 and #8 for all my jointing. Ofcourse this won't help you 'cause you're after machinery, but it's an amusing contrast...

12. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    If you can swing the extra $$
    A spiral cutter head is the way to go.

13. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    Unfortunately, for Generals the availability of the spiral head starts with the 8". That would have been pretty sweet.

14. Cliff Bordwell

Cliff Bordwell Commercial User

Jan 6, 2004
    USA , Orlando , Florida
    Owner of CB BASSES
    The 8" will allow you to flatten body halves :)
    The cost is quite hefty, just wiegh all the
    pros and cons and see if it is worth the extra
    $$'s to you.

15. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You may be able to get an aftermarket spiral cutterhead.

General has a pretty good reputation. So does Powermatic. At least, last I knew they did.

16. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    So, I went with the 6" General, set it up and got it true, and will begin cutting wood tomorrow. For now, I'll be using it mainly for neck woods on the next few basses, and if they turn out then perhaps a few more after that. Beyond that, I just don't know. If I were to make a career out of it, I'd definitely go for at least an 8" (more likely bigger). I'm proud of my first bass and how it turned out, but I've got a ways to go before I've got the chops that you guys have.

If I do get there, I'll sell this one to someone starting out and move on up. In the meantime, I'll look around and see if I can find a spiral cutter for it...thanks for the help all!

17. FBB Custom

FBB Custom TalkBass Pro Commercial User

Jan 26, 2002
    Maryland
    Owner: FBB Bass Works
    You can get a lot of mileage out of a 6" jointer. I've had one for 6 years or so.

18. Basschair

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    That's what I figured. It just made more sense to me to go with a solid 6" and to have any major planing/jointing work done elsewhere. Perhaps that will change in the future, but for now it's the way to go.