1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey Car Guys!!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Bob Clayton, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton valar morghulis Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Ok so I've been having a couple problems as of late with my 1998 Jeep Wrangler (manual transmission)

1) The car will be dead, so I'll get a jump but it will stall if I don't keep gas on it. After about 10 minutes or so with my foot on the gas (not much gas, just about enough to keep it at the RPMs that it is while it's normally idling) the jeep is fine, it won't stall and it will idle normally and won't stall during shift change.

2) I go to start the jeep and it barely turns over and will only start when I give it some gas. Once it is on, it runs fine with no problems.

Until tonight, problem 3.

I go to start the jeep and it barely turns over and will only start when I give it some gas. The jeep stays on initially, but after a few minutes of driving, it will start to stall if it is in neutral with no gas being applied. (it's pretty tricky to drive this way, and not economical at all)

I was able to get home to night (after problem 3) and I let the jeep stall as I coasted into a mechanic's lot (fortunately for me there is a mechanic right across the street from my house). Just for S&G, I turn the key and the jeep starts up fine again and doesn't need any gas to stay on.

I originally thought it might be a battery issue, but now I'm thinking battery combined with something else, maybe a blockage in the fuel line or something?

I should also note that there is a crack in the exhaust manifold, but I don't see any possibility of the two issues being connected.

I'm going to walk over there at 9am when they open, but I just wanted to see if any TB car guys could give any insight in the next 8 hours.

Thanks,
    Bob

2. your guess is as good as mine, but i would guess either a fuel filter or fuel injector issue.

id say go ahead and replace the fuel filter and run an in tank fuel treatment like stp. maybe try a higher octane fuel if it is still acting up.

3. I'm not really a car guy. Just know little things. It almost sounds like a choke issue.

EDIT: Is it fuel injected?

4. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    choke issue?

yes it is fuel injected.

5. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    i've used 87 octane since i got it (may 2008) and haven't had any issues. could an issue be starting up now because of it?

6. Chokes help with start up (when engine's are cold). But I think Fuel Injection took care of that issue so it's probably not relevant.

The octane won't have anything to due with it. I wouldn't think it would be a fuel injector problem because I don't think that goes away, like you said. Could be a fuel filter though.

7. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian

Oct 31, 2004
    If they can, have them test the "IAC" idle air control motor,
    not sure if this is your vehicle's problem, symptons kind of
    indicate that possibillity..

8. DrDano

DrDano

Aug 24, 2009
    Shawnee KS
    It being a 98 the computer system is pretty elaborate. You could have a problem with the throttle positioning sensor. I would go there first from what you are saying. This could cause it not to want to crank until you give it gas. Also keep it from idling until it warms up. Could just be dirty injectors too. Yes a cracked exhaust manifold could cause you grief because the of O2 sensor. Something as easy as leaving your gas cap off will cause you to get a check engine light. Could also be your neutral safety switch from the clutch. Best bet wait and see they the mechanic says. They have the computers that can talk to your Jeep and hear the sweet nothing your Jeep is saying. Sorry can help more, I gave up on cars after my 72 SS was creamed. They were a much easer car to work with back then.

9. Bassist Jay

Bassist Jay

Dec 28, 2009
    Sterling, CO.
    Endorsed by K.B. Guitars, Nordstrand Audio Pickups, Von York Strings and Gallien-Krueger Amps.
    I used to be an SAE certified mechanic. From the way it sounds, it could be 1 or a few things. It could be a clogged fuel filter and/or fuel injectors. Depending on your mileage, it might be wise to replace both. Also, if you have to replace 1 injector, you need to replace all of them at the same time otherwise it will create problems very shortly down the road. It could also be bad spark plugs and or spark plug wires. I don't recall on your vehicle if it has direct ignition or a regular cap and rotor but that might need to be replaced as well if it is not a direct ignition. The other thing you could do too is take it to a local Kragen/Checkers/Scheckies auto parts store and have them hook up their diagnostic machine to your computer. It may give off a code that tells you what the problem is. Last, it could also be a clogged catalytic converter. It could be something else but given the age of the vehicle and the problems you are having, the things I listed are the likely culprits.

10. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    Thanks for the input.

Jay, it has about 103k miles and I go a tune up last year, so I doubt it'd be bad plugs and wires unless the ones I got were faulty (or would problems have shown sooner than now?)

11. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2001
    Spencerport, New York
    Get the battery/charging system checked out first. Chryslers can run really funny if the battery & alternator aren't up to par, then see what happens.

Being it runs going down the road you can rule out injectors and the fuel filter. If there was an issue there you'd have trouble getting the vehicle to accelerate.

If after the battery/alternator issue is resolved the vehicle still stalls at idle, the idle speed motor is more than likely bad. They're simple to replace: two screws and a wire harness that plugs in. One word of advice is to get the new idle speed motor from a Jeep dealer, ime the aftermarket Autozone ones suck.

12. hartke20g

hartke20g

Apr 12, 2006
    miami, FL
    clean out your throttle body and intake plenum with some carb/throttle body cleaner. is your TJ modified at all? i would suggest browsing around www.jeepforum.com/forum as it's got loads of info.

13. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    bad battery will cause a lot of weird issues on the fuel injected Chrysler products. Start there 1st. Is the check engine light on ?

14. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    What's a Hey Car?

15. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ

PS, you're in Jersey. If you're anywhere close to me, bring it over and I'll help you out. Chrysler products are a specialty for me.

16. Bob Clayton

Aug 14, 2001
    Philly Suburbs
    iirc, you're in the jackson area? i'm down in gloucester county, not exactly close.

it's at the mechanic now, we'll see what they say. when i described the problem to them he talked about it poss. being the throttle body.

17. hover

hover

Oct 4, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Had this exact problem at one tim e or another with both my 96 and 01 cherokees, and a 01 Wrangler, all with the 4.0 I6. As MikeN says, start with the charging system. In my case, 2 needed the idle control valve, one a throttle position sensor. With the TPS, I had the additional joy of accelerator racing and stalling. Nothing to do with fuel injectors.

18. buzzbass

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    battery 1st, then look @ the IAC. If they start with anything else, be real skepticle. Some places with just start throwing sensors at the thing, until it's fixed. That can get really pricey. Tell the shop you want to know waht the diagnostic codes are, before they satrt swapping anything. I'm available, if you need me.

19. guroove

guroove

Oct 13, 2009
    Buffalo, NY
    If it's the alternator, it won't stay on for long after starting, but both the battery and alternator can be tested for free at autozone.

20. Ben B

Ben B

Jul 13, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    That's the first thing I thought of. A bad IAC or bad wiring connection to the IAC could definitely cause the engine to idle poorly or stall when cold. It shouldn't cause any issues once the engine is warm. So, either it's not the problem or there are multiple issues. But it definitely sounds like some issue in the computer or fuel system.

I don't think it's a clogged fuel filter either because that would affect the engine more running at cruising speed than idle.

FYI for anyone curious, no, electronic fuel injected engines have no choke. Chokes are on carburetors. The computer emulates the choke and fast idle circuit by opening IAC to let more air in the the intake along with altering injector timing to let more fuel in when the engine is cold.

Ben