1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey Carvin, doncha think . . .

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by MrBonex, Sep 30, 2009.

1. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Now that Carvin has all those nice lightweight power amps, don't you think they ought to make a lovely 1u tube bass pre-amp with the great EQ section from their BX1500?

Seem like it would be a great fit.

For me anyway.:D

2. rpsands

rpsands

Jul 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    They are making what looks like a nice Guitar Tube preamp for around 300 bones. I bet you could mod it, and who knows, they might put out a similar model for bass at some point.

Might want to send this suggestion to Carvin though instead :) Being able to get an entire component kit from Carvin would be neat. They appear to have some decent looking DSP options as well.

3. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    That might be cool, but I would rather they come out with an answer to Genz Benz new Shuttle 9! Probably be hundreds of dollars cheaper ! :bassist:

4. BillyB_from_LZ

BillyB_from_LZ

Sep 7, 2000
    Chicago
    Seems like a good post for the Forum section of Carvin's website.

5. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    There really aren't many big names in bass heads that also do pre- amps. Aguilar, GK, and Ampeg are the only major players building them that I can think of right off the top of my head. Call me cynical, but I think it's all part of the grand marketing scheme at work. Actually, I think Carvin would have a hard time convincing most folks that a $300 pre with a QSC or something would be a better bang for the buck than the B1500 is.

6. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Apparently the OP is not familiar with the history of Carvin bass gear, as the product he describes has not only been released previously by Carvin - it's actually been discontinued since 1998! :eek:

I refer, of course, to the RSP rackmount preamp - the preamp-only version of the ubiquitous Redline bass heads - also discontinued, but only two to three years ago now.

I still own an RSP - a one-rackspace unit complete with 12AX7 tube, graphic equalizer and all the bells and whistles. Reportedly the RSP was discontinued because it just didn't sell that well. Go figure... :rolleyes:

MM

7. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Some interesting replies. Maybe I should flesh the idea out a little more.

1. Mystic: I think Carvin is in a much different place than they were in 1989. The new lightweight pro amps are quite in line with what many bass players are looking for these days. I mentioned the 1500 eq section because I prefer the simplicity to all the bells and whistles of the RSP.

2. Jaco: Fender big enough? A $300 pre with a CARVIN pro power amp? I'd do it over a 1500.

3. BillyB: nice idea. Thanks.

4.RPSands: I don't think Carvin makes the guitar pre anymore. Couldn't find it on the web site. Don't think it was tubes, either.

:D

8. Jaco who?

Jaco who?

May 20, 2008
    Hence the mandatory:"right off the top of my head" disclaimer. ;)

9. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Damn. Shoulda put a smiley in. Is it too late? :D:D:D:D:D:D

10. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
    I'd love to see this idea come to fruition. But who knows with the current economy. :(

11. Boostedrex

Boostedrex

Feb 24, 2009
    Shreveport, LA
  12. Mystic Michael

Mystic Michael Hip No Ties

Apr 1, 2004
    New York, NY
    Strictly speaking, you referred to a "BX1500" - a model which does not actually exist: :meh:

There is of course the BX1200 and the B1500, the "BX" series being the successor to Carvin's Redline series - with graphic EQ, parametric EQ, compressor - and all the other bells and whistles, and the "B" series, with scarcely a bell or a whistle. As it wasn't clear whether you were actually referencing the BX1200 or the B1500, I assumed the former - and responded accordingly... :meh:

MM

13. theory028

theory028 Really Loud Hamburger.

Jul 4, 2007
    Cedar Falls, IA
    I prefer the EQ section of the BX500 to the B1500. I am a fan of the simplicity that the B1500 offers, and the frequency centers are well chosen, but the BX500 wows me. That being said, the B1500 EQ would look awesome as a one unit preamp.

14. MrBonex

MrBonex

Jan 2, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Right you are. B1500.

My bad.

15. mgood

mgood

Sep 29, 2001
    Levelland, Texas
    Available 1990-95, the Pro Bass 15 preamp is basically the preamp section of the Pro Bass heads of that time. (I have a Pro Bass II head, so I might be able to help you if there's something specific you'd like to know about the PB-15.) The Pro Bass series heads were replaced by the Red Line series heads in 1996.

16. mrpackerguy

mrpackerguy Supporting Member

Jul 3, 2004
    Madison, Wisconsin
    I wouldn't need it. I'm tickled pink, absolutely pink with my new B1500.

17. CrackBass

CrackBass

Aug 10, 2004
    huntsville,AL
    I would go just the opposite route. I bet Carvin would sell a truckload of amp sections of the b1500. Especially considering the shallow rack depth and 2 ohm capabillity.