Hey chorizo lovers!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Munjibunga, Oct 26, 2004.

1. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I just re-read the label on a package of chorizo sausage down at the local taqueria. Oh, I knew what was in there, but a little refresher doesn't hurt now and then, just to keep me from trying it. Now, as you may be aware, the contents must be listed in descending order of their abundance in the product. So let's see ... what's most plentiful in this food product?

OK, you got your pork lymph nodes. Yum. Followed by pork salivary glands, cheeks, tongue, fat, and other pork by-products (the stuff that, if they told you what it was, you'd spew without even tasting it). Then you got your salt, spices, peppers and the all-important sodium nitrite.

Not only delicious, but nutritious, too, eh?
  2. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    Hey I dig Chorizo...but do they really go to that level of detail on the labelling in the USA? On ours it would just say like:

Pork 75%
    Wheat 15%
    Water 5%
    Preservative (629) 1% etc

That way you have to guess what part of the pig was used :D
  3. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Eh, no biggie.

It still taste great.

If you want a real treat go to a good, authentic Argentinian restaurant and take a look at the menu.

They have all the parts of the cow on that thing and they do one hell of a job preparing it all.

So far I think the only things I havent sunk my teeth into at one of those places are bull balls and brain. Maybe not tounge or eye either though. Its hard to tell whats what when they present your table with a plate that has a bunch of assorted parts spread on it.
  4. Marlat

Sep 17, 2002
    London UK
    We get to eat lots of cool animals here:

5. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    We eat aligator a bit in some parts of Florida.
  6. Come on, Didn't you know that anything that is in a casing is nothing but "Lips and rectums"!! Now that I mention it casings are nothing but intestines (ok most use artificial).

So all "tube meats" are mostly a$$.....but they are yummy :D
  7. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    East Coast, US
    Squirrel is an integral part of the diet here in Jersey, along with pizza and bagels.
  8. Chorizo is so good. Love it. I get it at the mexican place up here all the time.
  9. superfly

Aug 4, 2004
    So all "tube meats" are mostly a$$.....but they are yummy :D[/QUOTE]

I never thought I'd say this, and probably will never say it again, but A$$ is tasty! :eyebrow:
    Especially Portugese sausage on a pizza, yum!!
  10. Pacman

Pacman Layin' Down Time Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Apr 1, 2000
    Omaha, Nebraska
    Endorsing Artist: Roscoe Guitars, DR Strings, Aguilar Amplification
    I don't care what's in it - it's still 'soul food' in this neck of the woods. And it's still great :D
  11. Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    Hmm... I never make my chorizo like that... may have to see what I'm missing.
  12. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Chorizo rocks. I don't care what part of the animal it is, it's all protein.
  13. Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    Hell, i eat haggis and that recipe is repugnant.
  14. dlloyd

dlloyd zzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Apr 21, 2004
    Try another Scottish favourite...

POWSOWDIE (Sheep’s Head Broth)
    1 sheep’s head
    3 medium carrots
    1 flank of mutton
    3 medium scallions or 1 leek
    1 cup barley
    3 small turnips
    1 cup dried peas
    3 stalks of celery
    salt and pepper

Soak the head overnight in lukewarm water. Soak the peas in warm water overnight. Remove the eyes. Split the head and lay aside the brains. Clean the head thoroughly. Put head and diced mutton in a large saucepan and cover well with water. Add the barley, soaked peas, and seasonings. Bring to the boil and simmer for 1 1/2 hours. Skim fat and foam from the surface occasionally. Dice all the remaining vegetables, add to the pan, and boil slowly for another hour.
    Serves 6-8
  15. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    Thanks. Now I have the perfect recipe to impress my girlfriend with.
  16. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    I grew up in El Paso, & LOVE Chorizo... But, here in Ohio, you just can't get it..
  17. DaveDeVille

DaveDeVille ... you talkin' to me ?? Supporting Member

hell yeah , thats' good eatin' for us locals ... also menudo ,{ the soup , not the band } , bring it on !! :cool:
  18. McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
  19. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    What is the Chorizo you guys are talking about like?

The Chorizo Im familiar with is a Spanish (Spain) thing but since you guys are talking about the Southwest Im thinking you guys are familiar with a Mexican food.

Is it a red fairly spicy sausage? I cant think of how to describe the texture other than to say that its nothing like italian sausage or bratwurst. It breaks apart in a different way.

So, does this description match up with what you guys are eating?
  20. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Ah yes, the hangover helper. Good stuff.