Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Conklin Fans, Help me out!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Billy Low, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    A couple of years back, I purchased a used GT5 (natural)for about $600 post tax. I really dug it! Okay...that's putting it mildly. I FRIGGIN LOVED IT!!! :hyper: I loved it so much that my girlfriend waited untill I left town for a few weeks and she pawned it for $150! :crying: She admitted to being threatned by by new love because of the amount of time we shared and the way I just carried on about my GT5.

My problem is that I either
    1) Find another used GT(5 I don't have the balls or skill for a 7)
    2) find a used bass that is comperable in sound, price and feel

Any suggestions?

Oh yeah...the only real problem that I had with the gt5 is that I just couldn't get used to the close spacing @ the saddle. Due to my inexperience with 5 stringers, is that spacing common?

2. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

worse thing EVER!

3. i suggest getting a different girlfriend.

4. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    Get a new girlfriend

5. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Yeah, I could replace her, but like the conklin, I like the way she sounds when I thump her!!! ;)

6. Yeah, you need a different girlfriend or at least not that one. That is just malicious. Anyway, as for the spacing... I can't seem to find what the spacing actually is on the bass. I know that the GT7s are pretty narrow (11/16" I think).

Geoff

7. I have a GT-5 and they're great instruments. It would be hard to find a replacement for such a thing, especially for the price. I am selling mine actually, but I have a guy who's local and interested in it. If he doesn't snag it, I'll PM you if you don't find anything.

8. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    BTW...I have been really curious about dingwalls and the whole fanned fret thing. How was the adjustment to the fanned frets, and how woud the dingwall compare in sound to comp. priced basses?

9. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars

Thanks pal...any suggestions for a bass that resembles the sound/feel?

10. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    Sorry gang, I shoulda said that the proble w/ spacing was @ the nut!!! ( I'm @ Work So I Ca'nt Think Properly)

11. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, yay for communication in relationships...

I've only tried one GT-5 that billy dickens had. He let me use for a good 20 minutes and i loved every minute of it.

The look of the GT series, to me at least, is kinda blah, but the playability rocks...im a 7 string player (the gtbd-7), so the spacing didnt bug me too much, but yeah.

If i had to buy a 5 right now itd be a definite throw up between the GT-5, peavey cirrus, and maybe an SR5.

12. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars

Thanks for the suggestions. I tried the SR5 and really wasn't that keen on it. I do dig the Cirrus, but I can't afford a new one, and finding a used one under $700 has been impossible for me. Honestly I liked the weight/balance of the Cirrus more so than the conklin...maybe because of the whole horn thing that the conklin has going for it.

The reason that I am stuck @ the $700 price range is because (as I failed to mention earler) she also pawned my SWR Combo amp as well...that was included in the price quoted! :eek: So i am looking to purchase a new amp/cabinet as well.

13. Matt R Miller

Matt R Miller

Apr 27, 2003
    Wisconsin
    pm sent to you Billy

14. Billy Low

Billy Low

Apr 14, 2003
    Chicago
    Sandberg Guitars
    She pawned it, but I was gone for three weeks and didn't notice that it was missing for over week and a half due to my work schedule. She was to pay back the loan in one month! According to the manager of the place the bass was sold the day after he put it on the floor...two days prior to me finding out.

15. you're seriously still with this woman?

16. I found the adjustment to fanned frets very simple. In fact, I don't think it was much of an adjustment at all. It looks much harder to play than it is (which it isn't!).

I guess mine compared to similarly priced basses may sound similar. It really depends. It has a distinctive sort of sound, especially in the low end. Really tight sounding (not boomy at all, maybe a little less bassy than a lot of other basses). But it is hard to compare. Mine doesn't sound at all like an F Bass, which I had and sold. Not as sharp of an attack, and not nearly as bright. My Dingwall has a lot more mids than the ash/maple F Bass I had. I am going to get another Dingwall in the near future. Something a little more like the F Bass was, but with the fanned frets of course. Overall it really depends though, there are a lot of different wood combinations for the Dingwalls, and there are a lot of different basses that are in its price range to compare it to.

Really, for the price a Dingwall Afterburner is something to check out. For the price, that bass is an outstanding value.

17. jja412

jja412 Fine gear enthusiast

Feb 2, 2004
    St. Louis
    You might want to consider resolving any insecurities your girlfriend may have before purchasing a new instrument. When and if that does occur, keep an eye on the Bay for that used Cirrus. They come up about every day, and routinely go around $800. I scored mine for under $600, and I love the thing. :hyper:

18. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, im sure theres plenty of cirrus' for 700....god i wish i had 700 for one of those.....

but enough about me.

Yeah, id check the usual places. Ebay, Harmony Central, and ask around on here. Look in the sigs of some people, as I might be buying a PA system from a fellow talkbasser soon.

: )

yeah, as for the SR5...ive tried a bunch. one i absolutely loved except for the black marbled pickguard (awesome color) on purple (hideous, IMO....). Others have been up and down, but I have to say, seriously, look into the cirrus. I look for them every few days (even though i cant get enough money for one), so if i see one around the 700-750 price range ill be sure to PM you.

19. Chapbass

Chapbass

Dec 11, 2003
    Chicago, IL
    In fact, theres a beautiful cirrus on ebay right now. It has a buy it now of 875, but the starting bid is 600....

Id try emailing him and seeing if he'll take it for like 725 or somethin. a good amount of sales over ebay are done that way, and it never hurts to ask, right?

20. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    Billy, PLEASE listen to this one simple fact... I'm not going to say "that girl's a so-and-so" or "you're an idiot" or anything, don't worry.

What I *am* going to say is this:

Any person who would destroy, sell, or in any way remove possessions from another, has NO respect, caring, or feelings toward the other person. If a male friend did that to you, you wouldn't consider that guy a friend anymore.

The majority of the word "girlfriend" is "friend", which she is obviously is not to you. What she apparently is, is a girl you happen to like to ****.

And if you stay with her just because you like the way she makes your willy feel... well, there are more and better.

Take it to heart - there are larger things at work here than just a bass and an amp at a pawn shop.