1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey Dave, how's about a Thunderfunk preamp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Jerry J, Mar 23, 2006.

1. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
  2. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    BBBBBump!

3. zekmoe

zekmoe

Nov 9, 2005
    I'l bump, if only to get the nagging message of telling me it's been a while since I posted.

4. Jerry J

Jerry J Supporting Member

Mar 27, 2000
    P-town, OR
    I was hoping that Mr. Funk might drop in on this and give his thoughts.

I do know that there are quite a few top notch preamps on market. But he did step up in a market that had many great integrated amp and been fairly successful.

5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Indianapolis, IN
    hey JJ,

I used to use a AMP SL-1, which was the 1.5 spaced preamp section of the BH 420... great SS pre. Lots of variety in tone.

[​IMG]

Kinda wish they would bring thatone back as well.

6. Thunderfunk

Thunderfunk

Mar 27, 2004
    McHenry, IL
  7. seakamp

seakamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    My dreams?!?? They are coming true?!!??!? NO WAY :hyper:

Can we get a little hint on about how soon??? :cool:

8. Fretless5verfan

Fretless5verfan

Jan 17, 2002
    NorCal
    :bassist:

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    sweet! :hyper:

any idea if that preamp tube idea might make it in there, too?

10. trainyourhuman

trainyourhuman

Apr 12, 2000
    MI
    Like white on rice...

Dave, I mean, Mr. Funk, how about a time table?

11. Quadzilla

Quadzilla Supporting Member

Nice!!!!!!! Any ballpark on price (we won't hold you to it)?

12. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Excellent! Then I presume that the two rack space 1,000w Thunderfunk amp is soon to follow? ;)

Tom.

13. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Ooh! Ooh!!:hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper: :hyper:

14. Man, all you guys looking for a TF preamp to use with a more powerful power amp must be playing REALLY LOUD:)

Am I assuming correctly that some of you want more power than the 550 watts, and that's what is driving the interest in the pre. I find the 550 watts into 4ohms massively loud (and at only 16 pounds in two rack spaces).

Just curious!

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    IME, it's more about headroom than volume.

Tom.

16. Hmmm... by headroom, I assume you mean that people are hearing distortion or lack of 'openness and fullness' in the lowest notes at high volume. Man... I haven't been able to get that amp close to compressing the low end on a gig, even at very high volumes and slapping. However, I am using very efficient cabs... might be a different story with less efficient cabs.

I guess another thing could be the individual tone.... I find a huge low end to sound mushy etc. out in the room, so I dont' crank the bass control. I guess if you are looking for 'earth-rumbling tone', you would also need the massive watts.

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Actually, I find that lots of headroom help me to control my lows better at all volumes. I hate mushy lows and boomy low-mids.

And for the record, I am not saying that the 550w Thunderfunk is underpowered. Only that I would be very interested in a 1,000w version. I might not need it, but that doesn't mean I don't want it. Get it? ;)

18. +1 The want versus need thing defines about half my purchases:)

Interesting... I have a different perception of power at low volumes. I've always found a smaller wattage head 'pushed' just a little at low volumes sounds much tighter (especially in the low end) than a very high wattage head 'idling'. I know you can adjust things somewhat with the preamp gain and master volume... but it's not the same thing (IMO, of course). However... there's nothing worse sounding than pushing a lower wattage head to distortion at high volumes.

19. Bassin' 'Round

Bassin' 'Round Banned

Apr 30, 2005
    Would love to add a T'Funk pre to my newly acquired Quest II & Purity. I really don't think there's anything these 3 wouldn't cover. :hyper: Of course a reasonable price would be nice, too. Wonder what ballpark amount? :ninja:

20. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    +1 mo' headroom is betta, no doubt