Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey dave mathews band fans

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by eric atkinson, Jun 2, 2001.

1. eric atkinson

eric atkinson "Is our children learning "Is our teachers teachin

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Ok i just got a copy of the lillywhite sessions (the cd that wasnt supposed to be relesed!) Dont ask how i got it kinda bad i think but anyway i did! Has anyone else heard this cd? What the hell are they thinking with the everyday cd? Dont get me wrong if i heard that cd comming from a band i never heard before id think it was awsome! But it comming from dave mathews band really gets on my nerves! I guess they recorded the lillywhite sessions then decided it wasnt good and trashed it and put out the everyday cd with a new maneger and they like got musically retarted! Carter is a amazing drummer and steffan is a damn great bass player but on everyday it dosnt sound like them playing at all! If anyone feels the same way about the everyday cd go download the lillywhite cd and you will be very happy! Sounds more like before these crowded streets!

2. 6-stringjazz

6-stringjazz

Jun 1, 2001
    Abq NM
    I have that CD as well and it is awesome! Stefan's playing has reached new levels on songs like bartender diggin' aditch etc.

3. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    For real though, the Lillywhite Sessions are so much better. I really like Grey-Street and JTR. I saw Grey-Street in concert and it was amazing.

4. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    On everyday it pisses me off that they use a keyboard for the sax parts? Umm dips you have a awsome sax player! I cant remember any parts to everyday that any of the musicians played a good part? Hell they should just get a computer do play all the parts if its that simple!

5. I went to the DMB concert last night. I saw somebody holding what appeared to be a bass. There was no evidence he was making noise with it. It wasn't the venue. Macy Gray's bassist sounded AWESOME.

6. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    then it definately wasn't Stefan, I don't he could stand there and not play his bass

7. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    Its always been very hard to here him play! I think its because he uses so much compression or somthing! If it was a outdoor show it was probably worse! I saw them when they first came out and it was a inddor show. It was great to here them.

8. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    yeah on all the studio albums(except everyday) the producer(Steve Lillywhite) put Stefan really low in the mix

9. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    I'll agree that Lessard's bass gets "lost" or buried in the mix of the most recent recordings.
    Now, maybe it's me-
    Lessard's bass DID sound both punchy & distinct on the Recently EP & Remember Two Things.

FWIW, I also agree that Everyday is, for the most part, disappointing(someday, hopefully, I'll be able to get the "missing album").

Next Month's Bass Player-

10. dmbbassdude

dmbbassdude

Apr 25, 2001
    NY
    i would like to download the lillywhite sessions but i was wondering if anyone could give me a list of the songs on the cd. thanx.

11. eric atkinson

Feb 4, 2001
    Joplin,Missouri
    http://dmb.jktang.com/
    there ya go hopefully this site still works to download the songs! It goes fast! Enjoy it all! And hey kick butt that he will be in next months issue of bass player!

12. Yeah I love the Lillywhite sessions!!! I mean I don't agree with the rest of you on everyday though. It is a good album. Now the musicianship isn't all there. But what about the lyrics? They are quite great in my mind. Dave seemed to take on more of a pop aspect with everyay. The lillywhite sessions though were much better. They were like old matthews. I saw him play Bartender and Fish Monkey Man (really big eyed fish) and man they ruled!

13. I agree. The lillywhite sessions turned out alot better then Everyday. Dave has his reasons for scraping the whole idea and making Everyday. IM a long time fan, and i respect his desicion(and i cant spell) Yeah Stefan really doesnt do much in the new album. Ive figured out all of his bass lines to everysong. Some I admit were a challange. THis time, piece of cake. IM still awaiting a sweet solo from Stefan!!! Watch Tower from listner supported was ok. IM talking a huge, awesome, my mouth droppin solo, I know he can do it. If any of you have heard one let me know, maybe I can get a tape of it from some traders I know. Oh and fianlly i have a reason to get a copy of bass player. Latly all ive seen is crap, except that thing with Geddy Lee was cool. Oh and one know of the Stephan website?? I found it a while ago. The designer did a good job. Has tabs and stuff. for got the addresse though:O(
    Joe

14. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
  15. thats the one, thanks!
    Joe

16. anubis101

anubis101 Guest

Aug 31, 2000
    Nacogdoches, Tx
    no prob...you dont by any chance know how to play the intro to All Along The Watchtower that Stefan played on "Listener Supported" do you?

17. Why yes I do, its been while since i played it. Doesnt sound all that good with out his effects, its still pretty cool.
    Joe

18. Haha this was the first time i ever poasted. Ahh Lillywhite sessions. Great cd. Still have it after all these years. Then they released thier three worst cds ever. Three in a row!!! What do you other DMB fans think? I know LWS and Busted stuff had some of the same songs. But LWS had a totaly diffrent feel. Steve knew what was the best.