1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

hey dave

Discussion in 'Ask David Overthrow' started by quadebass17, Oct 27, 2007.

1. i'm buying a tube/solidstate bass head, aka Ampeg SVT-6 PRO,
    and i know absolutely ZERO about tubes and such.

Please give me some advice!

Thanks!

2. Tubes usually give you a “warmer” “fatter” and more rounded sound than solid state amps. I use SWR bass amplifiers and they are fantastic. My SM500 has a tube preamp that provides a warm sound. I am not sure what size SVT you are getting but I know the 450H is offered with a tube power amp and a choice of solid state or tube preamp. You might want to play through SVT’s in a music store and compare the tube preamp with the solid state to see which sound you prefer. I have played through many Ampeg amps throughout the years and was always happy with their sound and performance.

-Dave

3. its an SVT6-PRO.

i've played it and the rest and love it. its just the warmth and fatness...oh. haha

but i still need help with how to set it, when to change, where they are...basics..

4. I'm not exactly sure what your asking but if you were to experiement with settings on your own that will be the best way to master the controls and get the sound you like.

Good luck and have fun

Dave

5. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Apr 17, 2021