Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey DBers!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by keithconn, Jan 3, 2002.

1. Hi everyone - everytime I get on TB I go through the EB side and then wander over to the DB side ... This is where I want to be! However, after years of playing the drums(I am 29 now, played for 12years) I just started(2months ago) on the EB. I am taking lessons from a local jazz DBist, who also plays EB.

What is the advise that you would give to someone like me? Stay with the EB for a while, or start the DB asap? I would obviously need to make some investments but jazz/blues is where I want to go with this and feel that staying with the EB is just going to prolong my eventual switch to the DB...

Any advice would be more than welcome.

Thanks a lot -
    K.

2. rablack

rablack

Mar 9, 2000
    Houston, Texas
    Having played BG for a lot of years before I switched I can tell you that BG technique is not really transferrable to the DB. If you play the DB, the transition to BG is much easier (should you want to do it) than the other way around.

If DB is what you hear in your head as the sound you want to make then start there. You've already got a teacher so you are ahead of the game. Good luck.

3. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    My recommendation would be to spend 6 months or so of diligent work on the Slab getting some theory and feel for string-things together, and then work your way into the Bass. This will make it a lot less frustrating for you.