Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey Detroit TB'ers. Ever see this?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by P. Aaron, Apr 12, 2004.

1. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

http://detroityes.com/

An interesting Detroit perspective. A massive undertaking of a website. Lots to explore, lots of history.

Check out "The Lost Synagogues".

2. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    That's pretty cool, i wounder what there going to do to the old Tiger Stadium?

What area of detroit you from?

3. P. Aaron

I live in Huntington Woods, just North of the Zoo. Oakland County really.

Some shmucks want to turn Tiger Stadium into a "State Park".(?) Let's not kid ourselves here. Turning it into condo lofts would be a better return.

4. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    I'm from Jackson...that wonderland mall looks sweet...seems a shame for these to just sit there....I work with a guy that's from Detroit...he tells me the city has a big problem with abandonded structures...busines and residential
    Cool site though...I used to be a cop and I just absolutely loved getting a call to search for someone in an abanded building...nothing gets the adrenaline going more!

5. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I grew up going to tiger stadium, i'd rather just see it sit there, if it turned into something else it would be strange and unsettleing.

I wish they would open it up and give some tours of it, i'd love to see what it looks like now, it hasn't been maintained in years.

6. P. Aaron

Alot of people wanted the stadium preserved, and contested the Tigers attempts to build a new stadium. Considering that alot of Detroits older abandoned structures are still there is just a reflection of a lack of demand for developeable property in the city.
    Developement has been picking up a bit in the last few years. But some structures(Detroit is probably not entirely alone here) long abandoned, are just fascinating artifacts.

7. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    Yes they are. Many times i have been through Detroit i can't help but really appreciate some of the buildings and looks of the city. Some of the structures are amazing, after you get past the fact they are abandoned/burnt down. It's a shame how run down and depressing the city is. I would love to see how it used to be when my grandparents grew up there way back, i heard the city was beautiful.

8. Rumzini

Rumzini

Feb 14, 2004
    Jackson, MI
    My buddy from Detroit says the Toledo Mudhens should take residence at Tiger Stadium...what ya think???

9. I just spent two hours at that website and I feel I've only scratched the surface. Beautiful, but spectacularly sad. I can only imagine how those images might affect my parents and older relatives who actually grew up in Detroit.

That site makes me want to be a photographer.