Hey Embellisher...about you Cirrus 6

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mike, Aug 25, 2001.

1. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    I was just wondering what you payed for this you purchased recently. I am a long time 4 stringer thinking about taking the jump to a 6. I want a quality instrument but do not want to pay "luthier" prices,if you know what I mean. Does your B sound tight and focused and how is the quality of tone and PU's? I'll get out and play one soon but some input would be great to hear first.

Thanks man.
  2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

paleale, I posted a review of it a couple of weeks back. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=24267

Basically, it is a great six string, believe it or not, the best one that I have ever played. Now I've played a lot of nice basses, but boutique 6's are pretty rare in Dallas, so I've never played a Fodera or a pre Gibson Tobias, but I have played 6's that cost almost twice as much that didn't do it for me like the Cirrus does.

As far as the B string goes, it blows away the B on my Pedulla and my Zon, and they have pretty good B's. The only B's that I have ever played that were better were on a Modulus Quantum 5 and a Roscoe SKB6.

The quality of the tone is great, the bass is well focused and very even across all 6 strings. The B is the same volume as the other strings, and the high C isn't wimpy, thin and guitar sounding like on a lot of budget 6's.

I payed a little over $1500 for mine, but it is a Cirrus Custom, which lists for $900 more than the Cirrus.

You should be able to get a Cirrus 6 for around $1200 - $1300, depending on how good your negotiating skills are. Or you can look for a used one, usually around $1000. Matter of fact, reedith from Talkbass has one for sale, but he may have sold it by now.

Reed, is the Cirrus still for sale?
  3. CrawlingEye

CrawlingEye Member

Mar 20, 2001
    Easton, Pennsylvania
    hehe, I sense a rehasing of Cirruses on TB. :)
  4. uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    You may also notice a difference in price depending on when the dealer purchased the bass from Peavey. Peavey's June '01 price list shows an MSRP price increase of $150. MSRP on the 6 string used to be $1899.99, now it's $2049.99. I don't know if dealer's cost has increased as well, but I wouldn't be surprised.

- Frank

5. Well, I have a deal in the works right now and it will probably (hopefully!) go through in the next week or so. Paleale, if you're interested in having a look at the bass, I have a few pictures up on the thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?threadid=20550

If the deal I'm on now doesn't work out, I can let you know.
  6. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City

Check out eBay. There's a Cirrus 6 there waiting to be plucked.

7. embellisher

8. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You know...I do truely think that if I wasn't going Custom with Dave, a Cirrus would be the way I would go. I have yet to hear one gripe, and they look amazing (especially that one on E-bay that Embellisher posted). Plus something about owning an "underdog" like Peavy. As it is, I might be tempted into a Cirrus in some way or another (see: a good 4- string...)
  9. embellisher

Brendan, they are definitely winners.

I have liked all the ones that I have ever played, fretted & fretless, 4, 5, and 6.
  10. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, like I always say: Any rational is good rational.

11. Mike

Sep 7, 2000
    That's a purdy one. Thanks for looking out for me gentlmen. I appreciate it. I'm sure the wife will as well. :)
  12. i just got mine last wednesday and i love it, i got it for 1311 including case and some cables. the only problem that i have with it is that it's alittle neck heavey but that could be just because of my peice of crap strap that i was also using on my ibanez gsr