Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey: Euphonic Audio iAmp owners!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by DaveB, Jun 9, 2004.

1. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    What are your favorite EQ settings? With what bass and what kind of music?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    My parametric EQ settings vary, depending upon the cab(s) that I am using and the room that I am in. I don't ever have anything drastic, and usually one or two slight boosts with one or two slight cuts. That said, I feel that these fairly minor adjustments, taken cumulatively, can work wonders. With regard to the contour buttons, the only one that I regularly use is the Bright button, but a friend playing through my rig with a lower end bass (Ibanez) greatly benefitted from Contour 1. The primary basses that I play through my iAMP 800 are my Gibson Thunderbird and a modified DeArmond Pilot 5 Deluxe, with Barts and an Aguilar OBP-1 preamp.

3. arizonabass

arizonabass

Feb 6, 2002
    Tucson, AZ
    My favorite setting on my iAMP350, for playing standards with my fretless '78 Jazz (with foam under the strings at the bridge), is flat. Flat, flat, and flat. All controls are, yes, flat. If I want a ballsy sound I turn the Lo control up to about 5 or so... or just push the Deep switch. I've really simplified things! :hyper: Cabinet is the CxL-112L with the tweeter 'on.'

Howard Lester

4. boogiebass

boogiebass

Aug 16, 2000
    In general, I like to boost bass to about 1 o'clock and occasionally punch the deep button on my iamp600. It sounds freakin' amazing with the EA CX310! Very clean and full-range. :cool: I use Hanewinckel active and passive basses but also Modulus Q6 and NS EUB. I play just about every style from jazz to rockabilly and a little of everything in-between.

5. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    Everything flat, deep switch on. That's into an Epifani T110 & T112 or EA VL110 & CXL112L.

I love that EA ~1k punch that cuts right through!

If I need a little bass or treble, I just do it onboard - the voicing on the sadowsky preamp is just perfect.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    i do the same when i'm running my sadowsky's, and Acme B-1's or B-4.

but if the room is picky, i'll go passive on the Sad, and mess with the EQ. e.g. my fav setting has been:

lows @ 40Hz +15dB
    low mids @ 180Hz +15dB
    high mids @ furthest left (forget freq.) -10dB
    highs @ 8kHz +5dB
    deep off
    brite off
    no contours
    preamp up until yellow is rarely lit

instant joker tone!

7. basss

basss

Aug 27, 2001
    NYC
    Holy 5hltballs! you like those lows!

I use the EQ on my Iamp 500 more like Tombowlus. Little tweaks here and there. I usually end up scooping some around 500-800 and boost or cut a hair around 2k depending on the room and the band mix for for a balance of clarity and warmth.

8. I normally run the tone section defeated and I use the deep switch for low volume stuff and usually contour 1 is on. I will eq a bit to suit individual rooms, but normally I just control this from the bass. It is easier to me this way.

Geoff

9. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    you have no idea, my man... :smug:

course, i cant quite crank the master, so it all sort of evens out.

10. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
  11. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Hope you're digging the 800

Mike

12. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    paired with a CXL 1-12L:

shelved lows @ 150Hz +5db
    low mids @ 500Hz flat to -5db
    high mids @ 1K +5db
    shelved highs @ 2kHz +5 to +10db
    deep off
    brite off
    contour 2 on
    preamp gain is usually at 1 o'clock in order to get a yellow LED

:hyper: :bassist: :hyper:

13. ashbory

ashbory

Jun 13, 2000
    The Hammer
    I always bypass the EQ. This is one of the reasons to like this amp.

I use the EQ on my bass, usually adding a bit of bass -more when I'm on the bridge pickup. For a more aggressive rock tune, I'll add some mids, but again using the bass pre.

I do like the sound of the deep switch and contour 1, but I prefer to keep the mids up front when playing with a band.

14. vanselus

vanselus

Sep 20, 2000
    Boulder, CO
    None
    The other thing I thought i'd mention about the great "flat" sound of the iAMP, is how it reproduces the treble freq of some basses. Most amps sound really harsh and clacky, but the iAMP puts a mellow spin on the sound.

Makes the MTD 535 really shine! Mr. Dimin can I get an amen?!

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    If I only knew ... I am still waiting for my 535. I have a 435, 435 fretless and a Saratoga 5. My 535 (with a high C) should be ready by summer NAMM. Here is a link to the some recordings of mine using the iAMP 800

http://www.michaeldimin.com/audio.htm

Mike Dimin

16. smarvelous

smarvelous

Jun 2, 2002
    Albany, CA
    Depends on the gig and the room.

I've got an Iamp500 (new). I love the eq defeat. For Latin gigs, I double with a BG and an EUB; I use no eq with my modulus Q5 and just use the onboard 3-band preamp. Then when I switch to my Eminence upright, I just turn on the eq, which I pump up at about 185hz +10db for some extra baby bass thump (I put foam under the strings at the bridge). So it's a quick and needed switch.

I just got the amp, so I'm only starting to tap the eq potential.