Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey everybody I'm new, can someone help me?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by No Remorse, Dec 27, 2001.

1. Hey everybody, I just got my first bass for christmas and I was wondering, is this a good beginners bass? It's a Yamaha ERB-300 and a Washburn BD30B amp.

Thanks in advance.

2. Better than my first bass

And look at me now....

get out while you still have the chance.......learn the recorder for the love of god.....

:D :D

-'rice

3. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi NR, and welcome to TB. No problem with your bass. As Maurice said, many of us started with worse. If you are new to the electric bass, the important thing is that the bass has a good set-up. If you aren't sure how to do it yourself, find a player that does or go to a shop and have a tech check your set-up for you. If your relief, action, and/or intonation are bad, you will just get frustrated with the instrument and lay it down. Your 30watt amp is fine to learn on, but that will be the first thing you change. Good luck, have fun, find a bass teacher, and shake the walls!!
    Doc

4. The most important thing you learn is not speed or slap or anything fancy like that

It's accuracy and variety, in no particular order. Don't pick up a bass, a pick, and three chords and go "That's it this is what I like, this is how I'm gonna play." Likewise it's no use playing something fast if you keep hitting bum notes, you need to have your fingers spot on where they need to be. THIS takes time, and patience, if those are things you have, you'll pass with flying colours

It's a whole world out there kid, hook in and don't hold back.

Of course I am relatively new here also, so some of the Elders (you'll learn who they are soon enough) will be more help.

-'rice

PS. Don't mention tabs, capeech?

5. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    Welcome to talkbass No Remorse.

Its not a bad beginer set up, The amp could be a bit better imo, but for now, you definatly have enough to get by with and learn on.

As stated before, make sure the bass's action is set up well and to your liking. If its not comfortable for you to play, then your not going to want to play it. Imo if your actions not to your liking its best to learn how to do it yourself, this will save you some cash in the long run, Its easy enough to do yourself, and theyre are many articles in Bass Player magazine as well as the threads here at talkbass to proporly instruct you.

Youll also find the general instruction forum very usefull if you want to get good, Ive been playing for 16 years now, and have learned quite a bit from it. that forum is invaluable imo. Lots of smart guys post in there, Pacman, Jazzbo, Gard, Chris, just to name a few.

Its also a good idea to find someone in your area that gives bass lessons, those are great, he/she can stop you and correct any bad habbits before you develop them, as well as answer any specific questions you may have.

I also recomend you purchase some instructional videos and method books when you get the chance to.

One good thing to practice in the beginning is scales and arpeggios in all 12 keys, while consentrating on proper left hand finger position and alteration between your middle and index finger (providing your a finger style player,) using those 2 fingers is most common. And its also important to alternate pick strokes up/down, if you should decide you prefer to play with a pick

In closing, learn as much theory as you can, be very open minded to ALL styles of music (it'll make you a more versatile player in the long run), and never ever ever mention tabs here. They are evil MMKAY

btw have fun while your at it too.

6. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    hey there

welcome and merry christmas :)

i think your new setup sounds great - better than what i started on. i would suggest that you take a bit of your other gift money that you may have gotten and get it setup properly - it probably needs it. this isn't terribly important, but a good setup _will_ make the instrument easier to play.

good luck!

7. PollyBass

PollyBass ******

Jun 25, 2001
    Shreveport, LA
    Thats a godlike bass considering my first bass. I had a 70 dollor bass. dont know how much yours cost. but im sure it wasent cheaper than that. i had a 15 Watt practise amp that had BSPR. It was more like 8watts. then the when the band thing rolled around. i said, "Really guys, i can get the money, i swear!". So, I got a very short term job. and still had to have some friends at music store repay a little favor to get a decent amp. O ya man, and i dont know of hradly ANY yamaha that is not a great bass for the money. VERY good starter uper package.

8. Welcome to TB! :)

Wish I had your rig when I was starting out!

Hit up the `rents to get you a teacher if possible,you`ll progress way faster.

Starting off you should mainly focus on getting the feel of the instrument,getting your finger coordination down,stretching,all the basics.Practice
    proper fretting i.e.press down right behind the fret.

After you get somewhat of a feel for the bass(takes a bit of time)it all kind of gets easier.

9. Your amp is MUCH better than mine was. I had a 15 watt GUITAR amp!

Wow, i've been playing bass for 1 year this past X-mas. Am I a pro yet? :D

10. I started on a yamaha.. pity it got stolen

*eyes No Remorse off*

Welcome to TB, i am Merlin, i am crazy and will always win.

:D:D

Merls