Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey everyone need help!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Mikey96, Apr 21, 2001.

1. Im no expert on bass amps so I need everyone's advice.

I was in this pawn shop today and saw a peavey bass amp 160 watts for 495 bucks. a) is this a good price its used but looks fine b) is it loud enough to play a decent sized venue (they told me it was but I trust u guys more)

thanks for the help!

2. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

The model would be helpful.

If it is a TNT 115, they are very loud amps, but the price is too high for a used one. I have the older TNT 130(130 watts through a Black Widow driver) and played gigs with it, including outdoor gigs with a metal band for years before I bought my SWR.

If it has the Black Widow speaker, and is in great shape, it would be worth between $400 - $450 tops. Personally, I wouldn't pay over $400, and it would have to look and sound new for me to do that.

If it has the Scorpion Plus, Sheffield, or no name speaker, it would be worth $300 at the absolute max, and that's if it is in great shape.

I see the non-BW models all the time for $200 - $250 used, and an occasional BW model for $375 - $425, used.

Pawn shops will haggle, just be prepared to walk out without the amp if they won't come down in price.

3. DUBZ

DUBZ

Aug 28, 2000
    Hi Mikey,Is it a combo or a Amp head?ref the sales guy telling you its good enough for a good sized venue(160 watts).really speaking a Bass guitarist should always go for around 300watts to be able to cut it against the lead or rythym guitars in the band,but a lot depends on your style of music & what you mean by a good sized venue & you can always go through the P,A ,but the price does sound a bit high if its a second hand 160watt combo.good luck ,Dubz. http://REMEDYMUSIC.homestead.com/COVERPAGE.html or http://www.feelinfine.co.uk

4. CraigD

CraigD

Jul 21, 2000
    Ottawa, Canada
    Hey Mikey

How old is this amp. Is it possible to find something NEW in a music store that is comparable. See how much something like that is new and decide if you seem to be getting a deal.

I have found a bunch of equipment in pawn shops and stuff that is really only 30-50$$ cheaper than new. For that I would prefer to get new, knowing that nobody has messed with it or abused it.

My advice would be check out new amps in that same price range to see what else you can get AND check out similar amps to see what they are worth brand new and then decide on the deal that you want.

Good luck man,
    Craig

5. Ok guys thanks so much for the help, u guys are life savers and ive taken all these points down on paper.

Back to the issue at hand stupid me I forgot to add I live in Toronto so we are talking $495 Canadian which is about $375 American. It looks very new is a combo, im in a punk band, with one other guitarist to play against, the venues im talking are your standard small concert venue, 500 people or less.

I will be back hopefully tomorrow with the make of the speaker.