1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey everyone! New bassist here...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Vdubz, Apr 21, 2015.

1. Vdubz

Vdubz

Apr 21, 2015
    Hi all!

Just wanted to introduce myself, my names vance and I recently moved to the denver area. I stumbled across this site in passing and everyone, as far as the conversations were concerned, seems very knowledgeable and friendly. I've just got a couple questions because I am a new bass player.

I got my first bass 2 month's ago, my father got me into it. I really love it. I want to take lessons to become a better player, and if any of you guys had info on a good teacher, or just places to go and here other great bassist, that'd be great!

Lastly my bass is a fender, I'll try to upload a picture of it. I'm interested in all types of styles, but I really like old school funk, and jazz, and a bit of rock and roll.

Thanks everyone for your time and I look forward to getting to know everyone

Attached Files:

2. garp

garp

Feb 7, 2009
    Connecticut USA
    Welcome to TB. That's one helluva instrument to learn on. Enjoy it, and be sure to thank your dad...often.

Taking lessons from a competent instructor is a terrific idea, but there's a lot of self-learning that can be done without paying a dime. For the first decade or so, my only teachers were vinyl records and FM radio.

3. graphics1988

graphics1988 Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2014
    Ontario Canada
    Hey Vance, welcome to the bass forum world. It will likely cost you a LOT of money one day!!! Hahaha...stay out of the classified section and you should be ok. ;)
    Tons of great people on this site with a wealth of knowledge...read, learn, play. I'm new myself to this world but I can tell you from first hand experience, not to be shy with any questions. Everyone has to start somewhere, and people here eat breathe and sleep bass guitars.
    Enjoy!

Cheers

Scott

Short-scale likes this.
  4. jd56hawk

jd56hawk

Sep 12, 2011
    The Garden State
    Do yourself a favor and save hundreds and hundreds of dollars.
    Check this out instead:
    Roy Vogt's Teach Me Bass Guitar: From Beginner to Pro
    10 DVDs...the best, bar none, at home bass program in the world.
    Sure, it costs $150 (you can make three payments, I think) but lessons are what, about $20 and up for half an hour?
    You take two months of lessons and you've already paid more.
    Read some reviews (Roy is or was a board member) and see what others say.
    Hey, it's self paced and you can go over each lesson as many times as you need to. Roy is a very good teacher and he makes the lessons fun. One of the best things about it is after learning this or that lesson you can apply what you've learned with his band, playing along with Roy or without him.
    Amazon.com: Roy Vogt's Teach Me Bass Guitar: From Beginner to Pro: Movies & TV

5. Vdubz

Vdubz

Apr 21, 2015
    Thanks guys, I appreciate all the insight! Ive been trying to learn on my own, but feel like I've hit a wall. I'll check out those dvds, and the other advice you guys have given me. I appreciate it.

6. gsgbass

gsgbass "ROAD REX" Supporting Member

Hello Vance, welcome aboard. Nice Bass to get going with. lPcodIX. My choice for a Precision as well.

7. DinoRock

DinoRock

Mar 26, 2015
    New York State
    Vance - check out

Hello from a very new bassist! | TalkBass.com

which was a thread just a few days old from another new bassist. Some good info there. Welcome aboard. This is a really good forum filled with knowledgeable folks who are willing to share.

8. The Veg

The Veg

Jan 29, 2015
    Etlanna 'burbs
    Welcome Vance! I love your part of the country and I'm WAY overdue for a visit!

I can relate about hitting walls when self-teaching. I can't read a single note on paper and I learned bass pretty much by plugging it in and making noise, and letting my feeble brain assemble the correlations to form new knowledge and skill...but it's easy to get into ruts and staleness when you're on your own! Here's a thought: join a band. I'm serious.

The thing with playing with other musicians is that on one hand it's not all up to you, but within the bass part of things it's up to you more than ever. Every time I've played with other people on a recurring bassis (see what I did there... :D), it has nudged me along as a musician because I've had to adapt to what's going on, learn music that I may well not have played otherwise, and get my sound to go well with everybody elses' sound.

Don't worry about not being good enough to be in a band, or in a regular jam-group if you don't want to call it a band or don't feel the urge to get in front of an audience. There are lots of musicians out there at EVERY skill-level, and some bands that got famous started out as people who decided to be a band despite none of them knowing how to play instruments or having the first clue about anything musical, but didn't let that stop them from buying guitars and basses and drums and just getting into the garage and sucking at first but hammering away at it and building ability with every step. I'm not advising you to pursue fame here, but I *AM* advising you to start playing with other people. Playing with others has been the A-Number-One-most-valuable thing I ever did to advance my musical abilities. It'll give you a lot of perspective and insight, as well as just plain sharpening your chops. Oh and most of all, it should be FUN! Have a ball, play your heart out, and make new friends in the process. It's good for yer soul, man!

So hop on Craigslist and put up your own 'bassist seeking' ad, or respond to some that look interesting, or maybe there's a music-store in your area that still has the good ol' bulletin board covered with scraps of paper that each carry the possibility to change your life. Maybe there are even more avenues in your area for getting around other players. Get creative and go for it, and let us know how it goes.

Belizaire and DinoRock like this.
  9. walldaja

walldaja

Apr 27, 2011
    Welcome Vance, hope you can find some other musicians to play with--that always helps. Especially if they are more competent than you are--makes you stretch. Nice bass too!

10. nerkoids

nerkoids Supporting Member

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Welcome!!!

11. nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Just want to add, your dad is pretty serious to helping you out on bass. That thing is a beaut.

If you want old school funk and jazz, try out a few different set of strings, from nickelwounds like Boomers or D'Addarios and the like, to Pressurewounds from GHS for the most options on getting both an old school and modern sound.

Plus... tortie... mmm.... tortie....

Sorry if this sounds creepy, but could you post a close-up of your pickguard? I'm a tortie junkie.

Oh, and of course, once again, Welcome!

Spirit of Ox likes this.
  12. bungletrpg

bungletrpg

Aug 8, 2013
    Redlands, CA
    That will be your first and last bass. Take good care of it.

trothwell likes this.
  13. nerkoids

Jan 3, 2014
    Montreal
    Oh, I don't know... I see another and another in his future.... :D

canuckshort likes this.
  14. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

Jul 9, 2005
    Memphis, TN
    Wow. That's one sweet "first" bass! My first bass didn't have a brand or any identification marks whatsoever.

That's a beauty, and I know you'll enjoy it. Welcome to the low end...

15. Vdubz

Vdubz

Apr 21, 2015
    Thanks guys!!! So much helpful info here... so what I'm taking away from everyone is to just keep practicing amongst myself and get with other players to move myself along. I would have never thought of that without asking you guys, thank you.

I'll check out some different strings too as nerkoids mentioned.

Thanks for the compliments on my bass too! I don't think my dad knew it sounded so good when he purchased it, I'm actually kinda worried that he will want it back lol. He's really into electric guitars so I just hope he stays on those.

Ya have been super helpful! I guess I'll explore the other threads and drop in and ask questions to learn up more about bass

16. Vdubz

Vdubz

Apr 21, 2015
    Here you go nerkoid

Attached Files:

nerkoids likes this.
  17. Welcome to TalkBass Vance! Nice bass too man! Cherish it, a Fender is forever my friend. As for learning, finding a great teacher would be quite a step forward. Let me say though that everyone learns in different ways. Some learn to read sheet music, some learn tab, and some learn by ear. It all depends on how you process information, but a teacher will help you immensely. Also, do yourself a favor and learn as many styles as you can. Not saying you have to master them, but it will keep your mind open, your fingers busy, and keep you jamming all over your area. I've said it before and I'll say it again, as you already know, this site is full of friendly and knowledgable bass players. Just don't go starting any Squier vs. Fender or "what's the best this or that for metal?" threads. Lol just kidding :D:bassist:

18. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    If you really want to be all you can be, learn to read music. If you can teach yourself through stuff like Roy Vogt's excellent video, great. Me, I half learned it through playing trumpet in my junior high concert band and half on my own through books and records. However, getting a good teacher who teaches you about reading music and theory and all that is something you should consider after you see how it goes on your own first. You can find pretty good info to get you started into reading music just by doing a Google search. Take it one step at a time and don't be in a rush to learn everything all at once. It's a lifetime journey, but there are things you can do to speed up the process, and learning theory is one of them. Hope you enjoy it...welcome to the club!

19. jthisdell

jthisdell Supporting Member

Jun 12, 2014
    Roanoke, VA
    I took lessons from a great Jazz Guitarist, Bennie Beckham, nearly forty years ago. He taught me how to follow along in any key. Very important when playing with different people, learning new songs, etc.

20. drummer5359

drummer5359 Gold Supporting Member

Jan 10, 2011
    Pittsburgh PA USA
    Hi Vance, welcome to the nut house... um... forum.

Seriously, this is a great place to learn about everything bass. Keep us up on your progress!