Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey, FAQ for anybody...

Discussion in 'Ask Steve Lawson & Michael Manring' started by danny10101, Jan 19, 2003.

1. danny10101

danny10101

Jan 19, 2003
    well, i was wondering which instrument i should play. ive been playing guitar for about a week now and was thinking of switching to bass. i was just wondering, what influences led u to play the bass? and another Q, what are the pluses and regrets of playing the bass? thanks a lot.

2. wulf

wulf

Apr 11, 2002
    Oxford, UK
    Definitely the trombone... :D

I suspect most people will tell you 'bass' and site reasons such as anchoring the band, administering the groove and 'just because it's the coolest'.

When it comes down to it though, a lot has got to be to do with what you've got a vision to do (when you see a band, which instrument would you most like to be playing) and opportunity (is there a bass you can learn on, do you know anyone who can teach you, has your band got too many guitarists, etc).

Those are probably better factors to consider in making a decision than asking a bunch of self-confessed bass-aholics ;)

Wulf