Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey, fella, wanna buy a bridge? (Suckers wanted, part II)

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Blackbird, Dec 15, 2000.

1. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
  2. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Saw it myself surfin and was wondering what the hell is that thing anyway hehehehe.....? Looks like a wannabe precision bass with an alembic neck, could be?

3. "Music aficionados know quality when they see it. This is the epitome of quality!"
    well at least thats what it says on the page. to bad for the ignorant that have brought it up to $212.00 at this point

4. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

That poor sucker that bid $212 better be glad that he hasn't met the reserve.

I just wonder if the dummy selling this really paid good money for it, and if he did, how much?

5. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    That's the kind of thing you expect to see inside some guy's trench coat in Central Park...

BTW, I have a genuine Lakland bass that was SPECIALLY MODIFIED with a J-Bass body and a SPECIAL CUSTOM Fender inspired neck... it even SAYS Fender on it cause it's that realistic! I'll sell it for just $500!!

6. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    Iowa
    Check out the bid history on this. Plus....the seller has been notified that this is a fraud...as has Alembic and Ebay.
    Of course...Ebay has done nothing as usual, even though it is quite clearly a case of outright fraud.

7. The real question is... What kind of P-bass copy is it? :D

8. VictorLeMonteWooten

VictorLeMonteWooten

Dec 6, 2000
    i think the strings are worth more thab the bass.

I've never seen that finish on an "Alembic" Bass before.

I saw that bass a while ago and thought "that looks like a peice of ****, somethings a little fishy."

It's rare because there aren't that many dummasses that would even do that.

9. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

I was interested in it when it was at $12.

10. Guys, I originally alerted the FDP about this little scam and you should have seen the fur fly!!!

I also contacted the seller with an admonishment, the original bidder with a warning, Ebay with a headsup and to exress my disappointment that they weren't doing something about it, AND the eventual winner telling him how he had been scammed.

A lot of the bidding you see there was done by FDP members to call attention to the scam. They even went so far as to contact Alembic to warn them of the auction. Alembic contacted Ebay to express their concerns about fake items but Ebay didn't do a single thing about it. Ebay probably really throttles sellers with fake pikachu's but wouldn't lift a finger here.

Apparently these fakes make their way out of Texas and there's nothing anybody can do except to look out for each other.

By the way, that only works if you want to be looked out for.