1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Hey! Follow me!

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by rokkitt, May 4, 2010.

1. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    yah know.....I'm listening to Big City Nights by The Scorpions.

the bass....it just leads the song, and maps the way......kinda like a big chainsaw cutting thru the underbrush....

yeah, a big chainsaw, cutting thru the bramble.....the weeds, the soggy stuff.......

so that the band can follow.....

and, I read on here that the bass and drums are the engine room, the back bone , the driving force, the transmission of the band....

but, someone said that the bass can change the whole tempo, feel, musicality of the band....yes, I see howt that is tru...

you ever feel that way about bass? I really like playing bass

Really.

discuss, and hey! this way! follow me......

:D

2. rokkitt

rokkitt

Jun 7, 2007
    bronx, nyc
    no Scorpion's love?

3. Thunder Pulse

Thunder Pulse

May 12, 2007
    Change the name of the thread to something that's not so vague and maybe it'll get some interest.

4. St Drogo

St Drogo

Oct 9, 2009
    Netherlands
    +1 to the name change.

On topic: There's a place for bass and it's in the back, at least that's the idea I get from the traditionalists. Though mostly they're right, I don't like the absoluteness they sometimes say that with. I like playing bass because it's big and manly and feels right, but that doesn't mean I always have to take a backseat to the guitarist. I like to make music where the bass and drums lock in and play huge, throbbing and fat riffs, and I like the guitarist to be the garnish, if you will. Colour things. To play unisono with me a lot, and otherwise harmonise and maybe an occasional solo here and there.

I've regularly been called an egomaniac, a guitarist that happens to play bass and an immature, unrefined a-hole because of it. I "just don't understand what the bass' role is in music".

Yes I do. I just choose to do my thing.

On the other hand, it can be very cool to "be the engineroom" like you say. If only to brush up on my scotty-impersonation.

Oh, and not sure if it was a question on your part, but I too really like playing bass :D