Hey Frank Zappa fans...

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Matthew Bryson, Nov 18, 2002.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    I've got a "how do you get that tone" question...
    the song Fine Girl on the album Strictly Comercial (FZ) has a bass sound that just sounds great to me. I don't think it's a particularily unique sound, maybe just 'that sound' done well. I really don't know what gets that tone - is it the bass, the strings, the amp, some effect? All that I know for sure is I have not been able to get a tone anything like it. I don't really know how to describe it, so I was hoping that a more experienced player who is familiar with the recording might have some ideas about what is going on. Thanks in advance to anyone who can help.
  2. listenin' to it right now...sounds like a light bit o' synth? definitely playing slap 'n' pop. i know it's bass...but it sounds like an organ-ish sound a bit, no?
  3. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    What version is on "Strictly Commercial"? Is it the studio recording from "Tinsel Town Rebellion"? If it's the studio version, there's a clavinet doubling the bass part... which is probably what you're hearing that is throwing you.
  4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Yes, I am pretty sure it's the one from Tinsel Town Rebelion. I'm still a pretty new player and don't have the greatest ears yet. So are you saying I'll never get that sound out of my bass?
  5. You can get a Clavinet-like sound out of a bass--Chris Squire is known for it--but it takes a lot more effort than is really worth the time. You need to play with a pick, use roundwound strings, play a dual-pickup bass with the balance set at center, and add quite a bit of distortion to your sound. By the time you're done, your tone will be of little use for anything but prog-rock and maybe some metal.
  6. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    With a bucket on her head she could walk a mile.....Oh yeaaahhh.
  7. beermonkey

Sep 26, 2001
    Seattle, WA
    She was a fine girl
    She could get down wit de get down
    All de way down
    She do your laundry
    She change a tire
    Chop a little wood for de fire
    Poke it around...if it died down

Oh yeah...