Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Hey gang: Let's plan a TB OTTAWA MEETING!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, Feb 5, 2003.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Anyone got any interesting ideas? I still like the idea of steamrolling an open jam or something.

For those of you who need added incentive to come up here - we have Warwicks! :D

I know there are a few of you not too far away - any thoughts?

2. Hey Thrash Jazz,
    I may be in. It really depends when it is, as my shedule is pretty full. I definitely would want to go, and will try to make it. Good idea!

Geoff

3. Hey Adam,

I'm back on the rock so I won;t be able to make it this time.....D'oh!

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    bump

c'mon, I know there's more of ya nearby... any Montrealers/Torontonians/Upper NYers going to be in the area anytime soon?

:confused:

5. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    bump

C'mon... :bawl:

6. DanGouge

DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    Canada!
    Well my reading week is next week, so I'll have time, the only issue is making it there from TO...

7. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Thrash_Jazz -

Must've missed this post - did you guys do anything?

BTW - gig spam - PUSH @ the Rainbow again - April 10, 2003. This time we've got the full night.

See TB Calendar for more info.

Do you have a list of Ottawa TBers?

DD

8. I'll be back on May 3.......

9. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Nahhh, we didn't do anything yet... Nicoli has a gig this Saturday at the Rainbow that I was going to try to make it out to, if anyone else wants to go...

April 10th eh? I'll remember that...

10. Add me to the list... not too far to go!

11. Sorry, can't believe I missed a thread stating "Ottawa" in such big letters!

DirtDog came down to my gig tonight at Bumper's so I've finally met up with a couple of Ottawa TBers now, good times.

Thrash - if you're planning on showing up Saturday send me a PM and I'll meet you outside the door or something with an advanced ticket which will save you $3 off the door cover if it makes a difference to you. I myself am a cheap bastard :D

If we want to arrange something for DirtDog's gig on the 10th that works for me, I was planning on attending.

My band was also offered another gig tonight for Mar 30th at The Rainbow, not sure if we'll take it or not yet though. That's the fifth show we've been offered within an 8-day span, I'm loving it.

EDIT:
    As for the list of Ottawa / really close to Ottawa TBers, this is who I have:

Andrew Noury
    DirtDog
    Geoff St. Germaine
    Mark Reccord
    oddio
    thrash_jazz

Am I missing any?

12. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I believe there are a few other Ottawa-ers: Tristan (currently in Montreal), Govethoy (in Napanee), radapaw, Chris J, adrian_cho and Xribble. And of course Yvon and Bass Boy in Montreal.

Sorry I couldn't make it out last night Nicoli - but I'm going to do my damndest to be there on Saturday. I really have no excuse for missing any event at the Rainbow, since I only live a 10-minute walk away! ;)

13. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    Yeah, nicoli's band did some serious rocking - the man can play! After some PA problems, the guitars were mixed well and his band did about six tunes. The last tune, a flamenco-influenced number, was definitely the highlight for me - it had it all. I forgot how much of a hole Bumper's is tho....

I can't make the Sat. night at the Rainbow so have a blast - it looks like it'll be a good night.

Again, let me know if any of you can make it on the 10th and I'll put you on the list...

DD

14. Thanks again DD :D Bumper's is definitely an 'entry level club' by all standards though.

Just got back from the Rainbow from seeing a couple bands tonight (including Ground Level Defied who seem to be developing quite the following) and the place is packed, can't wait for tomorrow... :bassist:

15. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    Kingston boy, eh? I'm a bit more rural -- Napanee. I checked your profile -- RMC Jazz band...nice. Ever heard of Zack Colbert or Greg Runions? Runions teaches at Queen's part time and at NDSS (my school :D) part time. Runs the Greg Runions Big Band, who released Sweet Home Suite, great CD.

Question: Other than Centre Stage, Renaisssance, and the Kingston Guitar Shop, are there any other music stores in Kingston? Renaissance only carries Yamaha, Fender, and BC Rich basses and Centre Stage doesn't carry anything interesting, just a couple G&Ls and stuff like that. Finally, there's the "waaaaaaaay downtown" factor that kind of makes the Kingston Guitar Shop inaccessible. Anything closer than Toronto or Ottawa?

16. Hey Adam, not sure if you made it out last night or not because I didn't see you. Then again it took me quite a while to find my own parents so... Thanks for coming out if you were there. Sorry about the hectic phone call, things were a bit stressful yesterday.

17. I'm quite interested, its a far journey and if I could get a ride up there, it would be easier, if not, Ill try to get up there

18. DirtDog

DirtDog

Jun 7, 2002
    The Deep North
    nicoli - great shot!

How'd the gig go?

DD

19. Not bad, being the second band of ten on the night meant we sort of got the short end of the stick for enjoying a large drunk crowd but there were still around 100 in attendance by the end of our set.

I heard we got a bit of a rough mix with low vox and bass, but I guess that's what we get for showing up late for soundcheck.

Now I'm just about to hop a bus and head over to Oliver's @ Carleton U for the next gig... what a crazy week.

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Hey Nick,

So sorry I couldn't make it Saturday - one thing after another happened and in the end I wouldn't have been able to make it by 8:30... :( don't count me out yet though!