Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey, got some questons

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ke1thxXx, Mar 1, 2006.

1. ke1thxXx

ke1thxXx

Feb 23, 2006
    hey how iss it going. my names keith and i was looking into buy a bass from my buddy for real cheap. the only problem is its a righty and im a lefty. so my question to you is, if its to hard for me to play that way, could i just string it to be a lefty, or is there more to it then that, is it even possible? its a ibanez four string. thanks keith

2. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
  3. AlembicPlayer

AlembicPlayer Im not wearing shorts

Aug 15, 2004
    Pacific Northwet, USA
    it can be strung lefty with a nut change

4. Juneau

Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    To string it lefty, you'd likely need to have a new nut cut for it.

5. hi there, welcome to TB!

it is possible to string it lefty, but youll have to change the nut and adjust the bridge for correct intonation. If you can get a professional to do these changes.

6. ke1thxXx

ke1thxXx

Feb 23, 2006
    change what nut? so would it be a easy swap, and im aware about the whole strap and knobs, but that wont be to big of a problem i presume.

7. What the others said but there are a couple of other things you may eventually find annoying, they wont prevent you from doing this but can be a hassle.

1. It may be a lot harder to reach the upper frets with the bass flipped like that. This may or may not be a big deal depending on the type of music you play.

2. If the bass originally had a long top horn and a short lower horn, moving the strap to the short horn may cause the bass to balance neck down when you are done. How bad this will be depends on the particular model of bass.

Peace,
    S

8. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    I don't really see the need for left handed people to play left handed basses/guitars...
    You need both hands for playing and you will have to get more strength in both of them.
    So my advice is: learn to play right handed! More basses out there that are right handed so when you're up for bying a better one you'll have plenty of choice!
    Also I know some lefties who have thaught themselves play right handed. And they play just fine.
    Another advantage of this approach is that you will not have to alter some crappy bass.

Just my .02

9. ke1thxXx

ke1thxXx

Feb 23, 2006
    yea, thats true, but on my guitar its a lefty, so im kinda used to that, and i was going to try righty, but im not sure if im going to be able to do it. so it seems like it is going to be possible, and if i get good and all ill just buy a lefty, and btw, im going to be playing old school hardcore music, so nothing hard

10. Sippy

Sippy

Aug 1, 2005
    Stuart,Florida

Okay then from now on, write with your left hand.

11. OK, as a lefty that plays righty- I can definitely say it's easy enough to do it, especially if you're learning from scratch to play that way. For me, it makes sense for my fretting hand to be my dominant hand anyways.

12. Theres some excellent posts in that other thread, but I'll chuck in my $0.02

I started on a lefty due to the advice of my first teacher. Bad advice, now twenty five years down the track.

You won't be able to walk into a store and A/B instruments really.

Your choice of bass will be limited to those manufacturers who make lefties, some don't.

You will pay a premium on top of the normal price for most instruments. Many you will have to order without ever playing.

On the plus side, you won't get many bassists asking to have a play on your instrument:p

My advice: learn righty. The first bass I had was a righty turned upside down and apart from the other problems mentioned in this thread, I found that the control knobs became painful cutting into my forearm and just movement on my arm would change the volume and tone settings!

13. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    im a lefty. ive played righty since ive picked up a stringed instrument. thats 6 years on classical guitar, and at least 4 on bass.

come to think of it, my piano is also a righty. :D :D :D

id advise you to learn righty. since youve not started lefty bass, learn it the right way. no sense fighting majority.

14. mkrtu9

mkrtu9

Mar 2, 2006
    Tuscola
    keith states that he already plays lefty guitar. I would think that it would not be a good idea to relearn everything he already knows just so he can play right handed. I say string it upside down and play lefty keith!! Good luck

15. Willem

Willem

Dec 26, 2005
    Belgium
    It's not the same man. As I said you need BOTH hands for playing bass (which you know:smug: ), but for writing you only need one. So I will be ignoring your remark.:spit:

But I tried... it seems to work. Although I can't do it fast:D

No hard feelings btw:)

16. I'd recomend learning righty

My uncle is a lefty, learned righty and told me he had no significant problems doing it

my bass teacher is a lefty and plays lefty, and has told me countless times that he wishes he started righty due to how much easier it is to find an instrument