Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by mybluespector, Apr 9, 2004.

1. mybluespector

Mar 22, 2004
    Joplin, Mo
    Have ya guys seen that movie sling blade?musterd and biscuits? Well anyway remember the band in that movie? Well they called me today. It had to be them i sware! See i got a call today about 3:00 pm and the guy said howdy this is edd. He said well i heard you was a bass player and you do alot of music stuff round here. I said yes He starts telling me about his band saying that he cant keep bass players cause they all suck! He named a couple players and one of them i happend to teach.lol this kid isnt wooten or anything but the boy can play. He told me that this guy wouldnt play slow enough for him. He said the guy put too many notes in one line{exact words} So i ran inside were i was currently having practice with my jazz band. I put him on speaker phone it was so damn funny man. He tells me how he has played guitar for 5 years now and that he was a natural. Said his band does alot of country songs like long haired country boy??????

So he asked me if i was one of those bass players that think they play guitar? I asked him what he meant by this! He said all thses bass players want to do these days is play lead parts and not stick to the root notes???? This went on for about 20 min while me and my band was rolling on the floor laughing and i kept my finger over the phone hole. He then said that he just learned that hotel cal. song from the eagles. I said yes i have, He said wel its a really hard song on guitar but for bass it is real easy cause its all in g???? (first of all i have never attempted to learn that song is it in g?} Telling me that is is on the top string of the bass at the second dot! I couldnt take it any longer at this point and the guys were getting to lowd! So i set up a time to go play with them! He told me i could brieng my friends if i wanted! They all agreed quickly! So it is next tue. at 6:300 i will let ya know the rest of the story! I think it will be a long one unless these crazy rednecks try to kill me or somthing!
  2. Against Will

Against Will Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2003
    Big Sound Central
    You should show up with an eye patch and a hookhand on your plucking hand.

It could be your "hook".

Wakka wakka
  3. lol, there was a band around where I live called Jeremiah, it was just bass and drums. The 2 songs I liked the most were, one called gargle, he opens it by saying "you all know the words cause there are none, gaabhhaagroddage", and another one called the pirate song where he plays his bass with a pirate hook :) . Anyways, I am looking forward to hearing how this turns out, sounds interesting
  4. LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Hmm, I think Hotel California is in A. I'm not sure, because I remember the band I use to play it in had transposed it to a different key. Either way, it's one of those overplayed songs of Classic Rock that I'd rather not ever cover again.
  5. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    I hate people who are full of themselves or their choice of instrument. Most of these people don't explore genres other than the one they play. It seems many of these people choose guitar but I know several bass players like this too.

Sounds like he just wants a low guitar player. I think that too much flashy bass work can intimidate a guitarist who aren't ready for that. I jammed with a potential guitarist last week and I began by playing the first thing that I thought of, but after a while I began playing much simpler because it seemed like he couldn't comprehend that kind of playing.

5 years playing and just now learning Hotel California, it might be hard to a beginner, but I would expect it to be relatively easy to an experienced guitarist.

I will try to change the mood of the thread by suggesting that you do not go just to show him up. Instead of shoving great playing down his throat to make a point, try enlightening him about the error of his musical beliefs.
  6. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I agree with Abark - don't go just for a laugh - that would be bad karma at best.

I remember someone calling on an ad I had posted. They were an 80's metal band trying to be a 00's metal band. When I told them that I wasn't interested in that style of music, the guy tried to reassure me that they weren't crazy, irresponsible drunks or drugheads. I replied that I didn't think they were any of those things, just that my ad clearly stated "no hard rock/metal/hardcore" and I wasn't interested in that genre. "Ohhhh... I didn't see that part." My ad was all of three sentences long, so we're talking a *seriously* short attention span to miss that!

:eek: :)
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

This guy's saying that G is the 2nd fret on the top string. I don't think he has any concept what key is.

Don't get killed, it might be a trick. Watchout for any and all lawnmower blades.