Hey Guitarists!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by The Golden Boy, Dec 18, 2004.

1. Kind of in response to the Talk Guitar thread...

I was wondering who else likes playing guitar as well as bass, and what you're using for a rig.

I'm primarily a bass player- I started playing bass, I'm a much better bass player than guitar player, I play much like a bass player playing guitar... For the first 3-4 years I played bass only, then I started playing guitar- but joined my first "real" band as a bass player. While I was in the Army I played mostly bass when I jammed with bands or whatever- but always had a guitar around. When I got out of the Army I played guitar in a few regionally successful bands, and then went on to play mostly bass in bands after that.

Right now I'm playing guitar very part time (until last week, our last practice was in June or July) in a band that's been around forever and a cool bunch of guys. My main guitars are a 2001 Les Paul 1958 Reissue and a 1965 Epiphone Olympic with a P-90 in it. My main rig is a 1977 Marshall cab and either a 1981 50w Park head or a 1978 50w Marshall head. The Park/Marshall rig looks amazingly similar to this:

Anyone else?

EDIT: I forgot to mention effects. I'm not too big on effects, but I occasionally use an Ibanez CS-9 chorus and I also use a Barber Direct Drive pedal for overdrive/volume boost.
  2. hetsscaryguy

May 22, 2004
    i play a bit of guitar these days. i started on guitar and moved to bass. i still only have 2 crappy guitars a squier strat and an oakman acoustic. but its enough. lately i find myself playing acoustic a lot. its musch easier to write stuff on acoustic i feel and its always good for a sing along at a party.
  3. I'm playing this:

Through this:

4. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    What did you call me?

I have really crappy guitar gear... I'm trying to figure out how to get a decent guitar sound as cheap as possible. I have a Peavey guitar and a baby crate amp that gets awful tone.
  5. I got a Squier Strat, but it's been given awesome powers by Buckethead so it's all good now.
  6. RoyQBiv

Nov 8, 2002
    Bellingam, WA
    Moddified Jackson JX-10 or SX 57 Strat > Effects (Tubescreamer, Crybaby, Digitech Comp, Korg delay, etc) > TubeWorks IVAC 65 or Marshall Lead 20

Depends on what kind of sound I'm going for...I rarely have more than two pedals in the signal at the same time, even though I've got a pile of them. I really like the TubeWorks amp...the high gain sounds are almost like a Soldano.
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Bad news Ty, I was actually the one who signed your guitar. :meh:
  8. I have a 1971 Gibson Les Paul in Transparent Red, a Dipinto Belvedere in Black, a custom made 1967 Gibson Flying V in green and a Gibson Hummingbird acoustic, all of which i play through a full out marshall set.
  9. Kelly Coyle

Kelly Coyle Supporting Member

Nov 16, 2004
    Mankato, MN
    American Standard Tele (with Kinmans!), Holst archtop and baritone, Evans amp.
  10. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Gisbon Les Paul with P90's through a Crate combo. I use a channel on the Crate for my clean signal, a Big Muff for a stoner rock-esque overdrive, and a DOD 250 for a crunchier lead/solo tone.

I am trying to nail Leslie West's tone off of the cd Climbing; I'm getting pretty close but I think my guitars lack of humbuckers is going to be the major difference in sound
  11. Leslie West's tone was all Les Paul Jr. A slab of mahogany and a P-90. :)
  12. Scottie Johnson

Scottie Johnson

Sep 8, 2004
    I have a Takamine G series Acoustic. That's all I need for now since I don't play guitar in any bands.

Actually, the only reason I got a guitar is to have a better understanding of structure and melody.
  13. keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I play a frankenstein guitar (Fender MIM Duo-Sonic body, Mighty Mite Tele neck, DiMarzio Virtual Vintage pickups, Gotoh tuners, Schaller bridge). My awesome guitar rig is... well, a SansAmp GT2 (plus some other pedals moving in and out of the signal chain) and my mixing board, and monitors/headphones. Shreddin'!
  14. discoboo

Dec 25, 2002
    charleston, sc
    i just picked up a gibson sg faded special...i play it through a fender twin with a tube screamer, crybaby wah and a mxr phase 90.
    this is my first band in over 15 years in which i play guitar. i started out on the guitar but have only played bass in bands. now i feel its a good time to switch it up a little.
  15. Deadworks

Dec 13, 2004
    St.Louis, MO
    I started on guitar and moved over to bass last year. Never really worried about gear much at all. I seem to have a knack of finding diamonds in the rough and getting off brand gear which turns out really nice. My guitar is an Alvarez(an electric not accoustic) very warm jazzy sort of tone from it with an extremely easy to play neck.

My Amp is a Sovtek Mig-50 through a Sovtek 4X10 cab. That is the loudest 50 watts of amplification I have ever experienced in my life with very warm but clear tube tone. I cannot begin to sing enough praise for my sovtek. I love that halfstack.

Total cost about 500 bucks including metal zone distortion and danelectro cool cat chorus pedals. Simple, reliable gear for cheap, my favorite kind.
  16. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS

Sweet! I could have sworn I so a pic of him playing a LP with humbuckers. Maybe not. :D
  17. Coutts_is_god

Coutts_is_god Guest

Dec 29, 2003
    Windsor, Ont, Canada
    I play a vista strat. It was made in the early 90's and in a few years will be replaced with something better. I play through a fender frontman 25. I've had it for 2 years but basically started to really play maybe 8 months ago.
  18. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Fender Fat Strat Texas Special, Sienna Burst, two extra wound single coils and a Pearly Gates bucker------->Vox wah----->Menatone Blue Collar---->'65 reissue Fender Twin Reverb. Heavenly tone.
  19. Don W

Don W

Jan 30, 2004
    East Bay, CA.
    Right now I've got an Ibanez RG7621 7 String, a Parker Nitefly SA, and an Epiphone SG that has a single P-90 pickup in the bridge and I play all of them through my bass amp. Though I'm currently in the market for a Gibson Flying V or an Explorer.