Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

hey gun nuts.... AR-15 receiver questions...

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by slick519, Apr 16, 2005.

1. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    so, i am looking in my local classifides for guns, and i see "AR-15 receiver" for 85 bucks. I have always wanted an AR and i was thinking it would be kind of a fun project gun for me to tinker around on.

anyways, i was just wondering, is the upper or lower receiver considered the "firearm?" also, is 85 a fair price to pay? The seller did not specify lower or upper -- hell, it could be both, i dont know, but lets just assume he means whatever the "firearm" part would be.

thanks,
    Slick

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Your question has tons and tons of variables.

It's pretty easy to get an upper receiver for an AR...as long as it meets federal requirements with barrell length and such..uppers are very readily available and are not expensive.

Lowers are basically the heart of the weapon, and depending on config/brand you will pay more for a lower, than for the upper.

The lower is where the trigger housing is located and also the sear and trigger group. The lower's have way more restrictions than the uppers.

What brand/model lower are you looking at? To be honest...85 bucks seems very very cheap for a lower... I'd be cautious of that.

3. As Razor pointed out, there's not enough info here. If he's just selling an "AR-15 reciever" without giving more info, this sounds like a bad place to buy from. Is any more information given? Keep in mind that there are different manufacturers and models of this type of firearm, and that they're not all the same.

I'd also like to know the answer to the question about which part you have to do the paper work for. I know if you buy a complete firearm in a store, they have to do a background check and a little paper work. I have no idea how this is handled when you're getting the gun in different pieces.

4. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    weel, i am gonig to give the guy a call later today and do some internet research on what is actually being sold.

As for buying the gun in peices, i know for a fact that on some guns, like the ruger 10/22 and others, that the part which you need an FFL dealer and a background check to buy is the receiver. it is considered the "firearm" part of the gun maybe because it is the piece that is essential for its operation, but i also think because that is the part of the gun which has the serial number - the number used for gun registration - engraved on it.

slick

5. slick519

slick519

Aug 11, 2001
    Salem, Or
    ok, the guy is selling mega-machine lower receivers, which are the serialized part of the gun. They are brand new.

and that is all the info i got out of the guy.

Slick

6. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Only the lower receiver is considered the firearm. As far as federal laws go if you two are in the same state then there is no requirements for paperwork or going through a dealer. YOUR STATE LAWS MAY VARY, LOOK INTO IT. Some people sell complete lower receivers and some people sell stripped lower receivers. He's probably selling stripped receivers. A complete receiver would have the trigger and trigger mechanism already installed. As far as the law goes there is no difference in buying stripped or complete.

Personally I would be a bit suspicious of these "mega-machine" receivers. You can get a stripped rock river arms receiver for less than $150. IMO unless you've heard great things about these receivers it's probably worth it to spend a little more and get something with a good rep.

RE: Upper receivers and barrel lengths - The barrel and the upper receiver are two separate parts.

I AM NOT A LAWYER. ALL OPINIONS STATED ARE MY OWN AND SHOULD NOT BE CONSIDERED LEGAL ADVICE.

brad cook

7. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Mega lowers are *very* good. The fit and finish is one of the best out there, and every build I've done on a Mega has been painless.

Go for it - $85 is a very good price!

8. DigMe

DigMe

Aug 10, 2002
    Waco, TX
    Cool...I wasn't familiar with them. I'll have to keep that in mind.

brad cook