Hey guys, a lil' help please.:)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Philip71, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Philip71

Jul 23, 2004
    I'm a beginning bass player I have been using a friends but am buying my own,however my question is the guys I listen too play alot of 6 string bass but me having no experience with a 6 string should I stick with a 4 until I get better or should I just dive right in and get a 6 stringer since I know that is what I wanna play....and if so of these two basses which one would you recommend the Rogue 406LX pro or the Douglas SB-26 I am leaning towards the Douglas only because it has better color options....any help would be greatly appreciated.
  2. If you know that 6 strings is what you're going to play on in the future... Then buy the six strings now, or you'll develop 4 string habits, which would be hell to get rid of later on... Go 6 NOW.

Of the two, I say Douglas, and I'm sure everyone will back this up... Rogue is utter crap, don't even give it a second thought. Get the Douglas, hands down a better instrument... hell, my broom is a better bass than that Rogue :p !

3. jiant.

Jul 3, 2004
    Fort Mill, SC
    I've not had any experience with a Douglas bass, but Rogues are, just like Ryan said, crap. A Rogue was my first bass, I wish I had just put that money toward somthing better.
  4. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Skip the Rogue. The last time I played one I cut myseslf on the sharp fret-ends.
  5. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    If you're drawn to a six string, go with that.

I can't comment on those brands, since I haven't played either. In my experience, it's "harder" to make a inexpensive quality six-string bass (with a solid B) than a quality four string bass, so keep up the TB research to be an informed buyer and possibly keep an eye out for used...seems like good starter ones are out there and people here (other than me) know about them.

6. Start as you mean to go on. You'll probably find yourself struggling with a 4 string if the music you enjoy needs the extra range a 6 string delivers.

If you want to play a 6-string, play a 6-string. You won't have that urge to get up and play if it's not what you really wanted. Before you can learn your instrument, you have to love it.

I can give that advice and I hardly know anything about bass, I'm a newbie myself. It's common sense, really.